Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

opinions?

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:14 AM
  • 12 Replies
So I know it is ultimately the father and I's decision but I want opinions on what to do about the last name of this baby. Olivia has mine because her father was never going to be involved but I know this baby's father will. He wants his last name which is perfectly understandable. But I want mine because Olivia and I have the same last name and I don't like her being completely different. Plus teachers always assume the parent has the same last name as the baby. I am kind of for the idea of hyphenating it because then she would have both and teachers would see a hyphenated last name and not as quickly assume you have the same last name. I'm just scared it would be too long and she'd hate having both. Her dad thinks it would just be announcing to everyone her parents aren't together. So I am at a loss (luckily I still have 3 1/2 months to figure it out lol) anyone have any opinions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:16 AM
Idk. I do understand how you feel, because I kept my kids dad last name for the same reason. However in this day and age, its very common for parents to have a different last name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MysticLove
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:31 AM

If you are not married or at least dating then I would give the baby your last name. I was sure my youngest sons father would be there and now we haven't seen him in 2 years (he is 4). Besides, it is just a name.

sid1083
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:39 AM
I just gave both of mine the father's last name. Sure, it's not the same as mine, but *if* I ever get married again (wasn't married to bd), they would still have a different last name as me. Although their dad isn't around or at this point chooses to participate in their lives, if at some point he did, at least their name will match one parent's. But like a pp, it's just a name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SexyDiva19
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 3:31 AM
My son has my last name and any other kids I have will have my last name as well. Depending on whether the father is in involved I may hyphenate the name but my name will be in there somewhere lol

Its a personal decision though so good luck. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormystar15
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:16 AM
My boys have their fathers last name and i wish i would have given them mine but like everyone else has said its just a name. also with it hyphonated(sp?) she could always put just one not all of it until she is old enough to decide which one she wants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chanel5nyc
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:26 AM
I would give the child the fathers name. Not a big deal to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyliesmommy7
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:39 AM
My dd has my last name unless your married never give the baby the dads last name trust me i have many friends that regret giving there kids the dads last name
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicoal4
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:43 AM
My daughter has both but I tell the teacher up front at start if the year that she uses my.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow. I can see both sides of the story, but IMO it should have his name since he is the father and he will be taking an active role in his life. If you were to go to court over it (which I pray you never have to) the judge would more than likely rule in his favor on this one.  Maybe use your last name as a middle name or hyphenate the last?

MIMIBRIE
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:55 AM
I've been on both sides of this. My older two girls have their dads last name. He isn't around and now they ask me why our last names are different. One dd wants to change her last name to mine. I dislike being called ms. Idiots last name ;) My baby has my last name. I wasn't going to make the same mistake again. He knows she's been born and that's it. He's never met her and never will. So it works best that way. I figure it this way its always easier to go from your last name to his rather than vice versa.. You don't know what kind of father he is going to be..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)