Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tacky?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:21 PM
  • 48 Replies

Do you think it's tacky to include clothing/shoe sizes/college fund information on children's birthday party invitations?  I don't [mention even the slightest reference to gifts], but I have gotten recent invites with this info in it, and am wondering if etiquette is just changing for the times.

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
petite101
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

The clothing and shoe size no, but the college fund I find to be rude. That isn't anyone elses responsibility, but the parents' IMO.

eviesmom453
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Very tacky, IMO.

Robsessed98
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I think it's a little tacky, especially the college fund info. For family members I think sizes and stuff are ok to include, but not on friends.

muwchck
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Clothing and shoe sizes can be very helpful.  I always have to call and ask for sizes for my cousins and friends kids, and if that info was available already, it would be easier.  College fund?  I'm not sure about that one.  I'm all for contributing to a college fund, but if I want to contribute, let me come to you and ask instead of you assuming that I might do it.

aj23
by Amanda on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:35 PM

It's borderline. I think its tacky to ask for gifts and when you put that information its like you are asking for gifts but people are going to buy them anyways so its not like you are asking for them.
I can see why the put that on there. I know a lot of times when I get an invitation I'm tempted to call the parents and ask for sizes and what the kid would like and if the information is already  there it helps.

aj23
by Amanda on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I can understand the college fund part. The guy I'm dating had parents who asked to limit toys to one and if they wished to give more of a gift to contribute to his savings. His mom said he was great because never got a lot of toys he didn't play with and he had enough money to pay for college 100% and had enough left over to start his retirement fund. People weren't wasting money on toys that were just eventually donated.
I've seriously thought about asking for the same thing for my son.

SinceresMomma
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:52 PM
It's tacky on the college fund part but not the clothing size.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenniferv04
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:54 PM

honestly i usually include clothing size and shoe size just becuase a lot of people we send invites out to (mainly family members) will all call and ask anyhow, and an outfit or what not is uasually what family exchange, at least with my family. It saves me about 500 calls asking what size the kids are

raven1114
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Personaly yes i find it all a bit tacky. If I need to know the kid's size I can simply ask the parent and if i want to donate to their college fund I can also ask the parent about that myself.

animebuddy
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:20 PM
I agree

Quoting petite101:

The clothing and shoe size no, but the college fund I find to be rude. That isn't anyone elses responsibility, but the parents' IMO.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)