Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I'm breastfeeding & afraid....

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2011 at 11:40 PM
  • 8 Replies

the father of my DD is going to try and take custody. Is there any laws or stipulations since that I have to quit breastfeeding?

by on Dec. 16, 2011 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
JAIRATRACI
by on Dec. 16, 2011 at 11:43 PM
Why would he try to get custody? Is it just because you are breastfeeding? Any judge that is a good judge would not give him custody just for that reason. Breastfeeding is one of the best things you can do for your baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyMJean
by on Dec. 16, 2011 at 11:52 PM

He is upset bc I don't trust him enough yet to leave her alone with him. We are not together and wern't together through my pregnancy. He doesn't think I need to trust him with her just bc he is her father. I'm more than glad to share our DD, but I have to trust before I can let him have her one on one. So after a convo we had it made me think he's gonna try and take her.

KailesMommy
by on Dec. 16, 2011 at 11:52 PM
It depends why and what kind of custody. If its for visits then u may have to try and pump and if u cant they may suggest formula just while he has her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIMIBRIE
by Jayme on Dec. 17, 2011 at 4:24 AM
No laws saying you have to stop. But I'm sure at a certain age when your LO can have solids visitation would be awarded for longer periods. If you don't have a custody agreement I would suggest getting one or at least consulting with a *female* lawyer if you haven't to see what options are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crmrlrrm
by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 4:30 AM

You need to speak to a lawyer.See if there is any law in your state about visitation and bfing.If anything I don't really think a judge would let him have over night visits and make you stop bfing or send formula,which you do not need to do if you want to keep bfing.

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Dec. 17, 2011 at 7:34 AM
First off, file for custody first and secondly, when it comes time to go to court, be sure you stress to the judge that you are bfing when he is trying to make a visitation schedule.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mia1983
by Mia on Dec. 17, 2011 at 3:48 PM

You're not going to have to interrupt nursing your infant to send her overnight with some dude who she has barely spent time with.  If I were you I'd go for one of those free consults with a female attorney who may be more sympathetic toward these issues (actually, I did do that).  And make sure you file for custody asap.  Don't believe a judge is going to make you pack up formula before you find out what the law says first.

Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2011 at 4:25 PM
Are you letting dad come to where you live to visit the baby?

If so, let him have her alone for a few hours with you staying in another room the whole time. Make sure it's at a time when the baby will be most likely to be fussy so that he gets the reality of what having a fussy baby ALONE to deal with is really like. More than likely, he'll rethink wanting custody.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)