Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This post is a place for us to share advice, questions and personal stories about dating as a single mom.  

Here are some dating tips from the moms in this group:

• Deciding when it is ok to start dating
  • Introducing the new "someone" to the kids
  • How long to wait before contacting potential partner after 1st date or meeting
  • Internet dating & singles events
  • Make dating fun

in love

For more help:

Click here to see what Single Moms are discussing on the group today:
Let's Talk! Click here to see more posts...

Please share your best dating advice for single mom in the replies below!

by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 2:36 PM
Replies (231-232):
newmomi2014
by New Member on Feb. 22, 2015 at 8:01 PM

I have been seperated from my ex for a year in March and we are currently in the divorce process. This is especially sad because our daughter turns 1 at the end of this month. She is our only child. He is a chronic alcoholic and I finally had enough and decided I was not going to raise my daughter in that environment. He was also emotionally abusive to me for 8 years. Our whole relationship. I had no idea till now how damaged my self esteem was till now that I am out of that relationship. About 3 months ago I started getting compliments on my appearence by a co worker. He was always so sweet, respectful and professional so it never occured to me. I figured why would he be hitting on me, I mean he is attractive, has a good job, sweet, no children, no divorce he could have his choice of women with those same qualitites. Then as he continued to compliment me I realized he was actually interested. He took another job with more pay and is no longer a co worker. On his last day we all went out to have appetizers and drinks as a send off. At the end of the night he approached me and kissed me passionately. We said we would keep in touch. So that was that. I figured it was nothing big but to me it meant something. It meant that someone, not just anyone but someone of quality still could find me attractive and could give me that warm feeling. So that was a big realization to me and a confidence booster. Up until then I thought I wouldnt get asked out for a couple of years at least because who would want to go out with me? That was until he kissed me. So time passed and we txt from time to time and were fb and instagram friends. Very casual but respected each other as friends. Earlier this week I decided to text him hello and he asked if I was free and if he could call me. I said yes. Im alway s busy with school, work and my daughter but that day I was free. He called me and we caught up and had a nice conversation. He asked if I was available to catch up. He had an early day at work and would be home soon. I told him I had plans to go to a concert with a girlfriend but could catch up for a couple hours since I was close by. I came by and he was very sweet, poured us some wine had nice conversation, gave me a tour and then started giving me a shoulder rub. Then things got hot and heavy and we messed around and just as it got to a point I asked him if he had a condom. He said no. So we continued to kiss but didnt have sex because we both believe in safe sex. After he did tell me he purposely did not have a condom because he wanted to take his time with me. After that we talked some more and had such a nice long conversation. I had to leave and he said well you know now where I live, lets keep in touch and we can hang out again. Then he said iwould love to take you to dinner to sushi tonight but i know you are busy but maybe soon,you tell me whenI can take you to dinner and we can have sushi. which I love sushi. I told him sure of course it would be nice. He walked me out and gave me a kiss goodbye. I was so surprised because I thought it was well just a physical thing not a formal date thing especially since we are friends. It was so nice. It left me with butterflies. I havent had butterflies in years. I cant stop thinking of that afternoon. It makes me smile. I think I am developing feelings for him since Ive known him for about 2 years. I think I like him but I am so intimidated by him and also feel so vulnerable since this is so new too me after 8 years of not dating.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Feb. 23, 2015 at 9:30 AM

Good for you!  I'm glad things are going well with this new guy and I hope they continue to do so.  :)

Quoting newmomi2014:

I have been seperated from my ex for a year in March and we are currently in the divorce process. This is especially sad because our daughter turns 1 at the end of this month. She is our only child. He is a chronic alcoholic and I finally had enough and decided I was not going to raise my daughter in that environment. He was also emotionally abusive to me for 8 years. Our whole relationship. I had no idea till now how damaged my self esteem was till now that I am out of that relationship. About 3 months ago I started getting compliments on my appearence by a co worker. He was always so sweet, respectful and professional so it never occured to me. I figured why would he be hitting on me, I mean he is attractive, has a good job, sweet, no children, no divorce he could have his choice of women with those same qualitites. Then as he continued to compliment me I realized he was actually interested. He took another job with more pay and is no longer a co worker. On his last day we all went out to have appetizers and drinks as a send off. At the end of the night he approached me and kissed me passionately. We said we would keep in touch. So that was that. I figured it was nothing big but to me it meant something. It meant that someone, not just anyone but someone of quality still could find me attractive and could give me that warm feeling. So that was a big realization to me and a confidence booster. Up until then I thought I wouldnt get asked out for a couple of years at least because who would want to go out with me? That was until he kissed me. So time passed and we txt from time to time and were fb and instagram friends. Very casual but respected each other as friends. Earlier this week I decided to text him hello and he asked if I was free and if he could call me. I said yes. Im alway s busy with school, work and my daughter but that day I was free. He called me and we caught up and had a nice conversation. He asked if I was available to catch up. He had an early day at work and would be home soon. I told him I had plans to go to a concert with a girlfriend but could catch up for a couple hours since I was close by. I came by and he was very sweet, poured us some wine had nice conversation, gave me a tour and then started giving me a shoulder rub. Then things got hot and heavy and we messed around and just as it got to a point I asked him if he had a condom. He said no. So we continued to kiss but didnt have sex because we both believe in safe sex. After he did tell me he purposely did not have a condom because he wanted to take his time with me. After that we talked some more and had such a nice long conversation. I had to leave and he said well you know now where I live, lets keep in touch and we can hang out again. Then he said iwould love to take you to dinner to sushi tonight but i know you are busy but maybe soon,you tell me whenI can take you to dinner and we can have sushi. which I love sushi. I told him sure of course it would be nice. He walked me out and gave me a kiss goodbye. I was so surprised because I thought it was well just a physical thing not a formal date thing especially since we are friends. It was so nice. It left me with butterflies. I havent had butterflies in years. I cant stop thinking of that afternoon. It makes me smile. I think I am developing feelings for him since Ive known him for about 2 years. I think I like him but I am so intimidated by him and also feel so vulnerable since this is so new too me after 8 years of not dating.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN