Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Child Support 101

Posted by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 2:45 PM
  • 319 Replies
5 moms liked this

This post is a place for us to share advice, questions and personal stories on child support.  

Here are some tips from moms in this group:

• Creating a child support schedule without involving the court
  • Visitation when not receiving child support
  • Receiving child support while on public assistance
  • Employer withholding of child support
  • Collecting past due support payments

fingers crossed

For more help:

Click here to see what Single Moms are discussing on the group today:
Let's Talk! Click here to see more posts...

Please share your best advice for those facing child support issues below!

by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tyfry7496
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 6:33 PM
71 moms liked this
ALWAYS go through the child support agency or courts for support and have it set up to come directly out of the paycheck.

Get court set custody.

I don't care how nice he is or how well you get along, protect yourself and kids. People change quickly when it involves money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
txangelco84
by on Dec. 29, 2011 at 2:37 AM
3 moms liked this

If there is a court order on child support, how do I make someone make him pay child support?

kary1124
by on Dec. 29, 2011 at 3:16 AM
1 mom liked this
my exs gets taken right out of his checks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidensmommy2012
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Hi Everyone,

I could really use some help and general support. The breakup with my son's father was very bad. Its tense always. I have his father constantly being pushy etc. I eventually put a court order in place. Modified visitation was awarded to him. Here in TX that is basically supervised visits until he completes the necessary steps to be awarded standard visitation. As far as custody is concerned, I believe it is set that we share custody, but I am the primary custodian. Anyway, he has moved and left the state now. He had never paid the child support set by the court and hasn't completed the visitation part yet either.

What I am wondering is that with him out of the state now, does the current visitation that is set still stand? If I ever let him take our son for a visit out of state, will I have trouble getting him back if he doesn't want to? Any advice or knowledge anyone can offer will be great.

txangelco84
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting aidensmommy2012:

Hi Everyone,

I could really use some help and general support. The breakup with my son's father was very bad. Its tense always. I have his father constantly being pushy etc. I eventually put a court order in place. Modified visitation was awarded to him. Here in TX that is basically supervised visits until he completes the necessary steps to be awarded standard visitation. As far as custody is concerned, I believe it is set that we share custody, but I am the primary custodian. Anyway, he has moved and left the state now. He had never paid the child support set by the court and hasn't completed the visitation part yet either.

What I am wondering is that with him out of the state now, does the current visitation that is set still stand? If I ever let him take our son for a visit out of state, will I have trouble getting him back if he doesn't want to? Any advice or knowledge anyone can offer will be great.

No. The first custody issue still stands. If you feel the need for it to change, take it back to court. If he files in another state you can hold him in contept of court for the first custody issued. Let the courts know the he moved out of state(dont let him do it first). If the courts find him in contept of any of the issues at hand you will be awarded sole custody(they call it something else not sure the name). ie... if he fals to show up for court for moving, or fails to let the court know he moved out of state. ... The custody issue at hand is for the state of Texas. He does not have permission to take them out of state. If by any means he does take the child(ren) out of state, make sure you get a well known adress(make him bring a bill of somesort with a valid address) BEFORE you let him take yoru child(ren). The main thing is go to court ASAP and let them know he moved out of state. Dont wait!!!

aidensmommy2012
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Thank you for the advice. These things are scarey. I know someone that didn't have any court order in place. She let her kids go for a visit with their dad out of state. It's been over a year and she is still fighting to get them back. I can't let that happen here.

tyfry7496
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Call your child support worker and report the nonpayment.

Quoting txangelco84:

If there is a court order on child support, how do I make someone make him pay child support?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyLaurah
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 7:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Just thought,I'd get some advice and opinions on what to do with my situation. My son will be three in may. When he was 11 months,i took his "father" to court for cs. He paided two months then fell off he face the earth.hes now in arrears 3,600,he was also awarded day vists every other weekend. With my son turning three soon I saw on the custodu papers that he could take him for weekends. Well he started paying 50 bucks a month in august but the thing is he has no contact with us and we haven't spoken since that court date ! Is there anything I can do,I'm scared that he will pop in and my son has no clue who he is. Its just such a mess,
lovemygirl1108
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 7:38 AM
3 moms liked this
Definitely change that court order soon. i don't know what it is called but get it to go graduate visits where he has to show you and the court that he wants to see him. But in time if he does go and do the plan he will get more time. Its something like the first couple of visits you will be there with him or you can do it supervised visits at a place where her pays by the hour then slowly do more and more visits. No judge is going to make him just go with him on weekends without knowing him. Always document everything! If he takes him or not, calls or not, whatever and anything that has to do with him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyClearest
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM
22 moms liked this

Well my situation is this, child support was being taken out of his check but then he found a way to get paid under the table so he wouldnt have to pay for his child. smh! Well a few years ago we went to court bc he was stalking and harrassing me at home and work. So he knew he would face jail time if he didnt stop the harrassment. Needless to say because he knew he would face jail time, he did not show up to (4) court dates. At the fourth court date the judge finally said he apparently doesnt care about his child so I give you Sole and legal custody. So he lost his parental rights. Serve him right! Karma! He was such a negative force in my childs life bc he talked to her about grown up issues which were highly inappropriate. So now we dont hear anything from him. Too bad for him. But I am reaping the benefits of seeing my beautiful baby blossom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN