Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This post is a place for us to share advice, questions and personal stories on child support.  

Here are some tips from moms in this group:

• Creating a child support schedule without involving the court
  • Visitation when not receiving child support
  • Receiving child support while on public assistance
  • Employer withholding of child support
  • Collecting past due support payments

fingers crossed

For more help:

Click here to see what Single Moms are discussing on the group today:
Let's Talk! Click here to see more posts...

Please share your best advice for those facing child support issues below!

by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 2:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
capemom2011
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm new to all of this. I just applied for child support, sent in all the papers, etc. but haven't heard anything. What is the next step? Should I get a lawyer? On top of it all, turns out my sons 'father' was cheating on me while I was pregnant and just had another baby with that woman!!
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jan. 14, 2012 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

You may need to contact your lawyer or the courts to have child support enforced.

Quoting txangelco84:

If there is a court order on child support, how do I make someone make him pay child support?

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jan. 14, 2012 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I would suggest that you file a new visitation petition requesting that your child not be allowed to be taken out of state without your consent.  I'd also suggest that you file a contempt order for child support.

Quoting aidensmommy2012:

Hi Everyone,

I could really use some help and general support. The breakup with my son's father was very bad. Its tense always. I have his father constantly being pushy etc. I eventually put a court order in place. Modified visitation was awarded to him. Here in TX that is basically supervised visits until he completes the necessary steps to be awarded standard visitation. As far as custody is concerned, I believe it is set that we share custody, but I am the primary custodian. Anyway, he has moved and left the state now. He had never paid the child support set by the court and hasn't completed the visitation part yet either.

What I am wondering is that with him out of the state now, does the current visitation that is set still stand? If I ever let him take our son for a visit out of state, will I have trouble getting him back if he doesn't want to? Any advice or knowledge anyone can offer will be great.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jan. 14, 2012 at 2:29 PM

If he has had no contact, you might consider filing abandonment charges against him or requesting that the court order be changed to state that he is not allowed any visitation. 

Quoting LadyLaurah:

Just thought,I'd get some advice and opinions on what to do with my situation. My son will be three in may. When he was 11 months,i took his "father" to court for cs. He paided two months then fell off he face the earth.hes now in arrears 3,600,he was also awarded day vists every other weekend. With my son turning three soon I saw on the custodu papers that he could take him for weekends. Well he started paying 50 bucks a month in august but the thing is he has no contact with us and we haven't spoken since that court date ! Is there anything I can do,I'm scared that he will pop in and my son has no clue who he is. Its just such a mess,

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jan. 14, 2012 at 2:30 PM

It takes some time.  If you haven't heard anything by Feb. 1st, you might need to contact the courts to make sure that everything is in order and find out if/when a date will be scheduled. 

Quoting capemom2011:

I'm new to all of this. I just applied for child support, sent in all the papers, etc. but haven't heard anything. What is the next step? Should I get a lawyer? On top of it all, turns out my sons 'father' was cheating on me while I was pregnant and just had another baby with that woman!!

Riah0923
by on Jan. 14, 2012 at 2:51 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm not sure how other states work, but I'm in Colorado. My ex is on child support due to me needing daycare assistance and he has not paid even a dime of it! You cant really have anyone "make" them pay but they go through a process to get money from them and show them it's a serious matter. They start taking it directly out of their paychecks (if they have a job) if not they go to their taxes (if they have any once again), Put a hold on their drivers license and then last they summons them to court to pled guilty or not guilty and then the judge decides wheather or not they get a second chance or they go to jail. I think the process is screwed up in a way but what can I do about it. I figure if he pays he pays and that will seriously help me out with my 2 boys and if not, I've been doin for this long so it's not really changing anything!!

Quoting txangelco84:

If there is a court order on child support, how do I make someone make him pay child support?

adinsmommy95
by on Jan. 14, 2012 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi,

Well i have a 4 month old and am a single mom the dad keeps threatening to take me to court to take my son away. What i wanted to know is if he can really do that. I am a stay at home mom, am the only one taking care of him. The dad helps me but only with what i ask him for. other than that its only me, he doesnt like my ,family and doesnt want anyone else taking care of him or holding him let alone around my son. according to him my baby doesnt have cousins or aunts or uncles, he only wants his family and friends around my son. I stay h0ome and care for the baby on my own and dont even go out in fear. I dont know what to do and its driving me insane am afraid he will take my baby away. if anyone knows what i can do please help me.

jlclif1
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 2:59 PM

what is thiss?

jlclif1
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I  have a 15th month old son. and my baby daddy used to say the same exact stuff to me. If yall to have not been to court and nothing is in papers then if he has ur baby he can go to mexico or whereveer and move and never bring ur baby back and he can not get in trouble because he is the father! You need to call the atteny general office and get set up to apply for child support. u will go in and fill papers in and then they will send u to a court date. you will go to court and they will make a payment on how mich he will have to pay you each month and during the time they will make up a visitiation plan for him. and if HE takes your baby during the times your supposed to have him you can call the police and he will get in trouble.! Honestly, girl you need to take ACTION asap or he can take ur baby and they wont be able to do anything about it  unless yall have papers with the visitation days written inside of it.

jlclif1
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I  have a 15th month old son. and my baby daddy used to say the same exact stuff to me. If yall to have not been to court and nothing is in papers then if he has ur baby he can go to mexico or whereveer and move and never bring ur baby back and he can not get in trouble because he is the father! You need to call the atteny general office and get set up to apply for child support. u will go in and fill papers in and then they will send u to a court date. you will go to court and they will make a payment on how mich he will have to pay you each month and during the time they will make up a visitiation plan for him. and if HE takes your baby during the times your supposed to have him you can call the police and he will get in trouble.! Honestly, girl you need to take ACTION asap or he can take ur baby and they wont be able to do anything about it  unless yall have papers with the visitation days written inside of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)