Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This post is a place for us to share advice, questions and personal stories on child support.  

Here are some tips from moms in this group:

• Creating a child support schedule without involving the court
  • Visitation when not receiving child support
  • Receiving child support while on public assistance
  • Employer withholding of child support
  • Collecting past due support payments

fingers crossed

For more help:

Click here to see what Single Moms are discussing on the group today:
Let's Talk! Click here to see more posts...

Please share your best advice for those facing child support issues below!

by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 2:45 PM
Replies (161-170):
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Oct. 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Those are good questions, but I don't have the answers.  Can you call child support enforcement and ask someone there what happens next?

Quoting jc88:

What happens when the father is unemployed? How do they determine child support then? He is pretty much a dead beat. There is no check to garnish and he doesnt pay the $50 per week (which is basically nothing). How does the court system let this happen. He is 37 years old. why havent they questioned why he doesnt work (he has never held a job in his life). How does he support himself? How is this fair!

MamaDee2Bee
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:46 AM

thats one of the first things I did after his g/f called me. He was released that DAY! So somethings screwed up!! idk but someone told me that since I have his social i can call the childsupport enforcement and they can find him that way.....

mistakesglore
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM

OK  the courts wont take your son unless he can prove your a bad mom, which is harder to do than ya think. but do yourself a favor, hit the courts first, record messages if you can, they helped me win full nd sole custody, the court did give him supervised visits but I won.

edis77
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:19 AM
Its time woman and men across America come together and find our ex's and get our support!
naomilynn10
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 1:30 AM

ok i am very recently seperated we were never married.  he is being civil about  us agreeing on visitation and child support. by law in arkansas since we arent married i have custody of our daughter who is 2. how can i protect my self so i dont get screwed over? also both our names are on the car title it says OR, he wants to sell the car for a cheaper car and then whatever he pays for the car he wants me to count as child support? i dont think its right but also he has the title and could sell the car out from under me anyway.... and he wants to claim her on taxes since we lived with him from jan last year untill a few days ago? would it be a fair deal to ask him to give me car title and he could claim her since it would generally be about the same amount of money?? or do i need to go thru court for set child support?

jillian9412
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM

filing a claim for child support because its a law here is like going through hell. all it is is fights and more drama. i wish i didnt have to do it and could just support my baby on my own

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Oct. 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I don't think that's right either, especially since it's in both of your names.

I'd go through the court system to get child support ordered and make life easier on you both in the long run.

Quoting naomilynn10:

ok i am very recently seperated we were never married.  he is being civil about  us agreeing on visitation and child support. by law in arkansas since we arent married i have custody of our daughter who is 2. how can i protect my self so i dont get screwed over? also both our names are on the car title it says OR, he wants to sell the car for a cheaper car and then whatever he pays for the car he wants me to count as child support? i dont think its right but also he has the title and could sell the car out from under me anyway.... and he wants to claim her on taxes since we lived with him from jan last year untill a few days ago? would it be a fair deal to ask him to give me car title and he could claim her since it would generally be about the same amount of money?? or do i need to go thru court for set child support?

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Oct. 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM

hugs  Sometimes it's a necessary evil.

Quoting jillian9412:

filing a claim for child support because its a law here is like going through hell. all it is is fights and more drama. i wish i didnt have to do it and could just support my baby on my own

vsanchez1981
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:35 AM

If ever you have questions about state laws and how they pertain to your court order it is best to alway contact your local attorney general of your state or his state. They can give free advice. 

victoriahearts
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:27 AM

My divorce from my ex was civil, we worked out visitation rights and child support payments very quickly but we also used lawyers and make sure it was all legally bidding and was present in court, no matter how civil both of you are being always get these issues on paper and go thruough the courts to avoid issues later and do it now while your still being civil, you may not be in a few months. As for your tax returns, it will depend on whether you worked and filed taxes separete from him, if you filed them together because you were a dependant of him, you will probably have to file again with him. But going forward or if you filed by yourself you can claim your child as you are generally the primary custodial of your child and your are single, but I would make sure you declare any "financial support" that he may put on his taxes so the IRS doesn't mess you up. As for the car if both of you made payments towards it then you should be awared half, try to keep everything as legal as possible.

Best of luck in getting throught the next few months of this, it can be hard to get all of these things done but you'll feel much better after you have worked out everything.

Quoting naomilynn10:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)