Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

This post is a place for us to share advice, questions and personal stories on child support.  

Here are some tips from moms in this group:

• Creating a child support schedule without involving the court
  • Visitation when not receiving child support
  • Receiving child support while on public assistance
  • Employer withholding of child support
  • Collecting past due support payments

fingers crossed

For more help:

Click here to see what Single Moms are discussing on the group today:
Let's Talk! Click here to see more posts...

Please share your best advice for those facing child support issues below!

by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 2:45 PM
Replies (181-190):
SuperMomKrissy
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I have a question that I have been curious about for about a year now.  I've been getting child support from my ex fiance for 7 years (oldest) and from my ex for almost 5 years (youngest).  The last week of the damn month (every month) they hold back my child support. When I called the enforcement agency a few months ago they told me that Gov. Christie signed some bill or something saying that there's a limit on what you can get per month in child support so that last week gets xferred over to the first week of the month?  Now my child support is court enforced.  I have a court order for BOTH cases saying how much they HAVE to pay per month.  So I don't understand why I don't get any child support the last week of the month.  Does this happen to anyone else!?

jbishop31
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I left my husband in June because he chose his family over his kids and I. The kids came with me, naturally, their dad is less than desirable. One of my kids in August, chose to live with him because f his brother. Well, I have asked numerous times for some kind of money to help with the kids but he used to tell me to tell him what the kids needed and he woud get it then would make me feel bad for asking. I have not received a dime since I left, I took him to court for CS in October and got awarded 473 a month for 2 kids when he gets paid 19.50/Hr and works 50-60 hrs a week but his job lied and said he works 35 hrs. It is December 9th and I have received no CS as of yet. I called the DA's office and they told me I have to wait patiently. HELLO!!!! Kids needs do not wait patiently. The best part is, he moved a pregnant girl whom he knew for a month, into his home with her 4 yr old daughter and supports the two of them fully. He also bought everything for the new baby which isn't his, yes I am sure, he is fixed, has been for 8 years. He is also going to sign the birth certificate. But tells me I will just have to wait til his job decides to withold money from his check. Nevada is so screwed up in how they handle CS. 

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Welcome!  Yes, you can represent yourself.

Quoting tfmom3:

My ex wants to go to court to decrease child support payments. I haven't recieved anything since Aug.2012. I think because he was out of work (again). Now that he has a job he's scared to pay. Also has about 4,500 in arrears due. He doesn't have a lawyer. Not sure what I need to do. I obviously don't want the amount changed, I still need it. I don't have money to hire a lawyer either. Can I represent myself? How?

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Welcome to the group.  Have you considered contacting legal aid to see if you qualify for legal assistance?

Quoting Missjenn0829:

I'm hoping someone can help me on my situation. I live in Arkansas and have been separated from my children's father for close to 4 years now. He is out of state and I don't have his address. I am not receiving any support from him and when he offers it, it's with a condition that he speaks to the kids. I stopped all communication between him and the children shortly after he left because while we were together he emotionally and physically abused the kids. Then even being 500 miles apart every time he would get on the phone with them they would be back in the emotional state as if he were there for days afterwards. There is no amount of money that would ever convince me to put my children in that spot again. So the situation is I need support I do not have the money it is going to take to hire a lawyer (required in my county for divorce with children) or to start a child support case. I am not receiving any benefits from the state and I'm just at a loss. He has left me with over $12,000 in debt from hot checks he wrote on our joint account (to which I've paid down to $2500 now) and with 4 kids to support on my own and no state assistance I feel very alone and stressed! I'm trying to go to school so I can make more money to support my kids but this seems to consume my every thought. Please if anyone can offer some advice on where to turn I would much appreciate it! Thanks!!

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Hi there!  I've not heard of such a thing, though I'm not in your state.  Maybe an attorney or legal assistant can help.

Quoting SuperMomKrissy:

I have a question that I have been curious about for about a year now.  I've been getting child support from my ex fiance for 7 years (oldest) and from my ex for almost 5 years (youngest).  The last week of the damn month (every month) they hold back my child support. When I called the enforcement agency a few months ago they told me that Gov. Christie signed some bill or something saying that there's a limit on what you can get per month in child support so that last week gets xferred over to the first week of the month?  Now my child support is court enforced.  I have a court order for BOTH cases saying how much they HAVE to pay per month.  So I don't understand why I don't get any child support the last week of the month.  Does this happen to anyone else!?

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Welcome to the group!  It sounds like your ex is really not much of a dad.  Unfortunately you can't force him to change which means you'll have to wait for child support enforcement to catch up.  :(

Quoting jbishop31:

I left my husband in June because he chose his family over his kids and I. The kids came with me, naturally, their dad is less than desirable. One of my kids in August, chose to live with him because f his brother. Well, I have asked numerous times for some kind of money to help with the kids but he used to tell me to tell him what the kids needed and he woud get it then would make me feel bad for asking. I have not received a dime since I left, I took him to court for CS in October and got awarded 473 a month for 2 kids when he gets paid 19.50/Hr and works 50-60 hrs a week but his job lied and said he works 35 hrs. It is December 9th and I have received no CS as of yet. I called the DA's office and they told me I have to wait patiently. HELLO!!!! Kids needs do not wait patiently. The best part is, he moved a pregnant girl whom he knew for a month, into his home with her 4 yr old daughter and supports the two of them fully. He also bought everything for the new baby which isn't his, yes I am sure, he is fixed, has been for 8 years. He is also going to sign the birth certificate. But tells me I will just have to wait til his job decides to withold money from his check. Nevada is so screwed up in how they handle CS. 

SonnysMommy821
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Hey everyone.. I'm new to this site.  I am divorced from my son's father.  He has been getting garnished for child support, however almost 1 year ago he got an increase in hourly pay and an increase of hours. When I confronted him about this and let him know that the child support was set and made when he was making less/working less and that he needs to notify the court and pay us the difference he said it is not his problem.   Not sure how to get him to pay the difference and how to change what he pays in child support.  Any suggestions?

amc_nlmc2007
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Well I got a call from him saturday afternoon and come to find out that he wants to be in her life and I had told him over via text why the sudden change? And just a few months ago he stated that he wanted to sign over his rights. His reaction was that his wife helped him grow up. Uh you should of grown up when you had your first child who is the same as my niece who will be 8. Anyways he had asked to talk to her and when I handed the phone to her she asked who it was and when he said that it was her daddy all she said was uh oh and her eyes looked like they was about to pop out of her head. She handed the phone back to me and said that she didn't want to talk to him. Well he is wanting to plan a trip to come up here and see his family and when that happens he wants to see my little girl and I told him that it is not my choice in that matter and that it is her's.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Welcome to the group.  I think you did well.  It wouldn't hurt for her to meet him, but then she should decide if she wants to get to know him after all this time.

Quoting amc_nlmc2007:

Well I got a call from him saturday afternoon and come to find out that he wants to be in her life and I had told him over via text why the sudden change? And just a few months ago he stated that he wanted to sign over his rights. His reaction was that his wife helped him grow up. Uh you should of grown up when you had your first child who is the same as my niece who will be 8. Anyways he had asked to talk to her and when I handed the phone to her she asked who it was and when he said that it was her daddy all she said was uh oh and her eyes looked like they was about to pop out of her head. She handed the phone back to me and said that she didn't want to talk to him. Well he is wanting to plan a trip to come up here and see his family and when that happens he wants to see my little girl and I told him that it is not my choice in that matter and that it is her's.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Welcome to the group!

You can talk to an attorney or child support enfocement services about making changes to the order.

Quoting SonnysMommy821:

Hey everyone.. I'm new to this site.  I am divorced from my son's father.  He has been getting garnished for child support, however almost 1 year ago he got an increase in hourly pay and an increase of hours. When I confronted him about this and let him know that the child support was set and made when he was making less/working less and that he needs to notify the court and pay us the difference he said it is not his problem.   Not sure how to get him to pay the difference and how to change what he pays in child support.  Any suggestions?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN