Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This post is a place for us to share advice, questions and personal stories on child support.  

Here are some tips from moms in this group:

• Creating a child support schedule without involving the court
  • Visitation when not receiving child support
  • Receiving child support while on public assistance
  • Employer withholding of child support
  • Collecting past due support payments

fingers crossed

For more help:

Click here to see what Single Moms are discussing on the group today:
Let's Talk! Click here to see more posts...

Please share your best advice for those facing child support issues below!

by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 2:45 PM
Replies (201-210):
youngmommy413
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:30 AM

Okay, so I have a 2 month old baby girl and im debating whether to file for child support or not. Im not with the father and he lives 4 hours away. We barely talk anymore because everytime we do we argue. He hasn't paid for anything so far and keeps making excuses on why he can't send money. I know i can't go 18 years having to pay for everything myself. Im scared to file for a couple diff. reasons. He partys all the time and is always talking to girls. If she were to visit him i wouldn't know whats going on regarding him taking care of her. I honestly just dont want to talk or see him ever again but I need financial help from him. Do yall think i should file or not?

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!  

My opinion is that you absolutely should request support.  It's not for you, but for your child.

Quoting youngmommy413:

Okay, so I have a 2 month old baby girl and im debating whether to file for child support or not. Im not with the father and he lives 4 hours away. We barely talk anymore because everytime we do we argue. He hasn't paid for anything so far and keeps making excuses on why he can't send money. I know i can't go 18 years having to pay for everything myself. Im scared to file for a couple diff. reasons. He partys all the time and is always talking to girls. If she were to visit him i wouldn't know whats going on regarding him taking care of her. I honestly just dont want to talk or see him ever again but I need financial help from him. Do yall think i should file or not?

SuperMomOfTwo35
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this
ok here my situation my soon to be ex husband name on my daughter birth certificate has been for two years he denying are son does he have to pay child support since he on her birth certificate or will her real dad have to
SuperMomOfTwo35
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I would file he help create her he should help you and you can get supervised visits if you are worried I am in the same boat 

patience914
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and receiving food stamps.  The state said I'll qualify for aid once I hit my third tri-mester.  The problem I'm having is that the father of the child has 4-5 different homes...some of which are out of the country.  I'm looking for legal counsel to see what my options are.  Any suggestions?

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations!  Legal counsel is a great idea at this point, other than that I have no additional ideas.

Quoting patience914:

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and receiving food stamps.  The state said I'll qualify for aid once I hit my third tri-mester.  The problem I'm having is that the father of the child has 4-5 different homes...some of which are out of the country.  I'm looking for legal counsel to see what my options are.  Any suggestions?

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe if you were married when she was born, and he consented to having his name on the birth certificate, he does have to support her unless it's proven that she is not his and then her biological dad will need to support her once there is a paternity test and court order for support.  I would however seek legal counsel in this matter to be sure of your/her rights.

Quoting SuperMomOfTwo35:

ok here my situation my soon to be ex husband name on my daughter birth certificate has been for two years he denying are son does he have to pay child support since he on her birth certificate or will her real dad have to

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Welcome to the group.  

He can threaten all he wants, but unless he has proof that you are an unfit parent then there is little chance that your child will be taken from you.  

Make sure you document any and all threats and communication with him so that you have something to present in court should the need arise.

Quoting adinsmommy95:

Hi,

Well i have a 4 month old and am a single mom the dad keeps threatening to take me to court to take my son away. What i wanted to know is if he can really do that. I am a stay at home mom, am the only one taking care of him. The dad helps me but only with what i ask him for. other than that its only me, he doesnt like my ,family and doesnt want anyone else taking care of him or holding him let alone around my son. according to him my baby doesnt have cousins or aunts or uncles, he only wants his family and friends around my son. I stay h0ome and care for the baby on my own and dont even go out in fear. I dont know what to do and its driving me insane am afraid he will take my baby away. if anyone knows what i can do please help me.

EmysMom0117
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank God this is a topic!
Me and my daugter's father has been with each other for 6 years. Since I had her he hasn't done much to help. He comes around but he doesn't own up to the title of being a father. Before I had her we agrees to no child support but about two week ago I filed without telling him because I'm tired of supporting her by myself. He said if it ever came to this he wouldn't have nothing to say but I feel like I'm putting love behind and doing what's best for our daughter. Was this a selfish act?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I'm glad you filed, it sounds like you have a need for some help and your daughter really does deserve to be supported by her dad financially as well as emotionally.

No, this was not a selfish act.

Quoting EmysMom0117:

Thank God this is a topic!
Me and my daugter's father has been with each other for 6 years. Since I had her he hasn't done much to help. He comes around but he doesn't own up to the title of being a father. Before I had her we agrees to no child support but about two week ago I filed without telling him because I'm tired of supporting her by myself. He said if it ever came to this he wouldn't have nothing to say but I feel like I'm putting love behind and doing what's best for our daughter. Was this a selfish act?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)