Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Separation & Divorce 101

Posted by   + Show Post

This post is a place for us to share advice, questions and personal stories about separation and divorce.  

Here are some topics that have been discussed in this group:

• Deciding to relocate after divorce
  • Remaining friends after the break-up
  • Meeting the ex's new partner
  • Assuring the children that they are not the cause of the break-up
  • Mediation

fingers crossed

For more help:

Click here to see what Single Moms are discussing on the group today:
Let's Talk! Click here to see more posts...

Please share your best advice for those going through a divorce or separation in the replies below.

by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 2:54 PM
Replies (221-228):
JGrisham828
by New Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I just recently was separated from my fiance of two years. I have a one and a half year old daughter who doesn't know what's going on. I'm a teen mother so it's been really hard on me these last couple of weeks. I'm scared for my child because I don't know how well I'll be able to support her on my own. I don't have a job yet and I just started going back to school. I'm lost.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:21 AM

You'll do just fine, though I know it's scary.  Just know that there is help available (food stamps, etc) if you need it and don't be afraid to ask your friends/family for help either.

Hang in there!

Quoting JGrisham828:

I just recently was separated from my fiance of two years. I have a one and a half year old daughter who doesn't know what's going on. I'm a teen mother so it's been really hard on me these last couple of weeks. I'm scared for my child because I don't know how well I'll be able to support her on my own. I don't have a job yet and I just started going back to school. I'm lost.

readynow52014
by New Member on May. 2, 2014 at 4:11 PM
Quoting MickieM:

S2BX went on a trip to TX & announced that he doesn't love me anymore and he wants a divorce. Apparently everyone but me saw this coming.We've been together over 20 years and would have been married 17 this May. I supported the family for 3 years when he was laid off and doing temp work, now he's had a full time job for 2 years and I lost my job last April. So here I am in MI with no job, over qualified for most of the jobs available with no degree and no way to go back to school. OD's birthday is coming up Easter weekend, but my parents and sister want nothing to do with him. In fact both my sister and college roommate said they wanted to kill him and I'm not sure they were joking. We are still living in the same house because neither one of us has any where else to go, plus all the utilities are in his name and I'm afraid if I kick him out he'll turn them off. He also has pictures of the house taken about a month after I lost my job. I was so depressed that the house was a complete disaster and says if I fight him he'll make sure I never get to see the kids even though he's said he doen't want them full time. I've gotten past sad & up to pissed off but I'm not sure where to go from here.

I'm so sorry. I kind of feel like I'm going through the same thing, been separated for 3 weeks, been to a few counseling sessions, we can't even make it through 1session without me being blamed and accused for ruining his life and what a horrible person I am... We have 2 kids, are currently taking turns at the house, because he can't afford a place to get on his own, I pay every single bill, do everything that has any bit of responsibility that has to do with school, the kids, etc... I can't even get into the whole story... Last night we had therapy and he said I was manipulating him just cause I asked to see the kids earlier. I haven't seen them all week cause he's been staying at the house!
I am going to go for a legal separation, I can't stand this anymore
BTW sorry for the rant, I didn't even introduce myself
cocoalover89
by Member on May. 30, 2014 at 6:37 PM
I divorced after 7 years. We had issues but I found out he was still talking to a family member after I asked him to. To them it was nothing. To me it was a betrayal. The sad thing about it is I live with him because I would rather see him than go with my parents and their ridiculous beliefs and opinions. I am looking for my own place. I wish I could just forget everything. I am working on forgiveness. I don't want to carry that burden for the rest of my life. :( I still have my weak moments. I cry remembering everything. But it's part of the process I believe
cocoalover89
by Member on May. 30, 2014 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I asked him to stop. Sorry.
michelledavis
by New Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:48 PM
I am recently separated after 13 yrs of marriage, 15 together. In knew we were having some issues in our marriage but no matter how bad things were getting, I never seen myself without him. I married him straight oitnofnhigh school, had our first child when I was 19 and or second when I was 24. All throughout our marriage he cheated. I always foegave him bc my marriage vows actually meant something to me and divorce was not an option. We had been doing really good, i thought, theae last few yrs until I catch an STD. I know I havent cheated, but he denied it every chance he got. When he decided to leave and more in with his new GF he decided to tell me he slept with my bf from high school, more than once, and thats when he contracted the STD. I guess he wanted the satisfaction of leaving me. Don't get me wrong, I fought for my marriage when he left. It is too difficult for me to see him with his gf, it hurts a lot. He very rarely spends time with our boys, he has 2 kids from his previous marriage that he pays no attention to. This is very difficult for me, but I'm trying to be an adult about it all. My heart still explodes when I see him and when he is with her I j6st cry inside. Idk how it was so easy for him to move on. I just cant do it, it's too difficult for me.
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jun. 4, 2014 at 10:49 AM

I'm sorry you're finding yourself in this spot.  group hug

Quoting michelledavis: I am recently separated after 13 yrs of marriage, 15 together. In knew we were having some issues in our marriage but no matter how bad things were getting, I never seen myself without him. I married him straight oitnofnhigh school, had our first child when I was 19 and or second when I was 24. All throughout our marriage he cheated. I always foegave him bc my marriage vows actually meant something to me and divorce was not an option. We had been doing really good, i thought, theae last few yrs until I catch an STD. I know I havent cheated, but he denied it every chance he got. When he decided to leave and more in with his new GF he decided to tell me he slept with my bf from high school, more than once, and thats when he contracted the STD. I guess he wanted the satisfaction of leaving me. Don't get me wrong, I fought for my marriage when he left. It is too difficult for me to see him with his gf, it hurts a lot. He very rarely spends time with our boys, he has 2 kids from his previous marriage that he pays no attention to. This is very difficult for me, but I'm trying to be an adult about it all. My heart still explodes when I see him and when he is with her I j6st cry inside. Idk how it was so easy for him to move on. I just cant do it, it's too difficult for me.

allsolittle
by New Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:13 PM
Kara. Mother of 4. Ive not yet filed but I will on monday.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)