Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Separation & Divorce 101

Posted by   + Show Post

This post is a place for us to share advice, questions and personal stories about separation and divorce.  

Here are some topics that have been discussed in this group:

• Deciding to relocate after divorce
  • Remaining friends after the break-up
  • Meeting the ex's new partner
  • Assuring the children that they are not the cause of the break-up
  • Mediation

fingers crossed

For more help:

Click here to see what Single Moms are discussing on the group today:
Let's Talk! Click here to see more posts...

Please share your best advice for those going through a divorce or separation in the replies below.

by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 2:54 PM
Replies (61-70):
elfox07
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Hi, I'm a single mom of two, my daughter is 4 and my son is 2 1/2. i've been separated from their father for almost 1 1/2 years now. i'm still very angry with him for leaving us, and don't know how to deal with it. we're still going through the court battles, as he is not content with me having sole custody. he refuses to communicate with me regarding anything. any advice? i'm sure i'm not alone here, but i can tell you, i sure do feel alone at times and don't know how to handle my feelings and act in best interest of my children.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Sep. 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Welcome to the group.  I'm sorry you're going through so much as far as the custody battles, etc. (((hug)))

Quoting elfox07:

Hi, I'm a single mom of two, my daughter is 4 and my son is 2 1/2. i've been separated from their father for almost 1 1/2 years now. i'm still very angry with him for leaving us, and don't know how to deal with it. we're still going through the court battles, as he is not content with me having sole custody. he refuses to communicate with me regarding anything. any advice? i'm sure i'm not alone here, but i can tell you, i sure do feel alone at times and don't know how to handle my feelings and act in best interest of my children.

just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I moved out of our home with my daughter April 2010 , filed for divorce June 2010, divorce finally finalized July 2011 after 9 1/2 year marriage. My ex fought every issue, lied about everything and did not show up for final hearing... and has refused to pay his court ordered child supportto this day,  he moved from GA to CA so nearly impossible to go after support now.  I am a  nurse so I do not depend on him financially for anything any way... we may not have a house anymore but we have a home , free of stress and to me that is priceless!!!  My daughter has excelled in school , straight A's and has joined the band this year. And I have no family support here either and all my friends here have either no children or their children are 18 and over . Money was very tight in the beginning but now I am more deciplined with my money and have been able to start a savings account for us both and debt free. As a mom you learn to do what you can to carry on with your children to give them the best you possibly can ...

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!

Your daughter is young, it'll be hard for her but she'll bounce back pretty easily.  (((hug)))

Quoting mynewlife2012:

i am at the very begining of a seperation. i have a four year old little girl and am concerned about her well being.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Welcome to the group.  It sounds like you & your daughter are doing very well. :)

Quoting just4ds10ee:

I moved out of our home with my daughter April 2010 , filed for divorce June 2010, divorce finally finalized July 2011 after 9 1/2 year marriage. My ex fought every issue, lied about everything and did not show up for final hearing... and has refused to pay his court ordered child supportto this day,  he moved from GA to CA so nearly impossible to go after support now.  I am a  nurse so I do not depend on him financially for anything any way... we may not have a house anymore but we have a home , free of stress and to me that is priceless!!!  My daughter has excelled in school , straight A's and has joined the band this year. And I have no family support here either and all my friends here have either no children or their children are 18 and over . Money was very tight in the beginning but now I am more deciplined with my money and have been able to start a savings account for us both and debt free. As a mom you learn to do what you can to carry on with your children to give them the best you possibly can ...

just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Quoting Cafe AmyS:

Welcome to the group.  It sounds like you & your daughter are doing very well. :)

Quoting just4ds10ee:

banne02
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Quoting Em222:

I am single mom with twins . My partner and i separated 4 years ago  twins were 2 yers old....

Me too. My twin boys are 2 and we just separated, found out there is someone else.

inspiration55
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I am a mother of two i have a 10 year old boy and a 6 year old boy. I was never married to the man I was dating for almost 10 years. I believe he is an alcoholic, he has had several DUI's in rehab two times. He can not get his head around the fact that I don not trust him. He wants to be married but doesn't understand that I gave him to many chnaces. Is it possiable that one day he will stop being mad at me and move on with his own life.

inspiration55
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 1:44 PM

How do I stay away from an ex with known drug and alcohol abuse? 

2Percent
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I'm in the very beginning pf separating from my boyfriend of 4 years, with soon to be 2 year old daughter.  He has stated that he isn't happy in our relationship and is going to be moving out.  I'm so scared that I won't be able to provide for my daughter like I should since i'm going from a 2 income family to single income and not making much... If anyone can give me advise please help... Never thought I would be the one going thru this. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)