Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are there any moms considering finding a roommate for finacial reasons?

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2007 at 11:16 AM
  • 3 Replies

I'm just trying to get an idea of how many moms would consider finding another single mom to share an apt or townhouse with.  I've ben considering it for some time now and have offered to move in with a friend here in Louisville who's in the same boat as me-not enough money to pay for the basics and don't mention those out of nowhere major expenses that tend to come around from time to time,  I know as females we like our space and privacy, but as single moms we want more for our kids, not in the sense of things but being able to do more with our kids versus working OT or 2 jobs to pay for Daycare.  Or even go to school to better ourselves without having to live with our parents. 

If anyone is interested please feel free to send me a message or come by my group. If there's enough interest I will try to get groups set up for regions and some do's and don't lists.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/singlemomroomates

by on Nov. 22, 2007 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
alz2007
by on Nov. 22, 2007 at 11:21 AM
I have done it and will tell you tha tmy experience I will NEVER do it again. My friend and I rented a house and I have 2 children as did she. We did fine the first month then she met a guy and well needless to say he practically lived there as well. She ended up getting pregnant and then they got married and she moved out with him and we are no longer friends at all. Well we talk when I see her here and there, but dont hang out like we used to.

The kids fought and we fought, only because we both had different parenting skills etc.....just think about what you are doing, yes it did help me financially and it didnt last long, she left in the middle of our lease and thank God our landlord was decent enough to only let me still pay my half...it was an adventure that is all I have to say, I am not saying it will be bad for anyone else, just make sure you all sit down and talk about how things are going to be done. It is tough.

Good luck
immadismom
by on Nov. 22, 2007 at 11:43 AM
I had a roommate for a year, last year. It was horrible.  She was going through a divorce also, and we both needed the financial help also.  She did not have any children, but she worked 2nd shift, so she was rarely there when my daughter & I were there.  BUT.....we no longer speak to each other.  She was messy, and careless, and she tried to help parent my daughter, but never asked how I would handle a situation.  She also felt the need to tell me how I needed to parent.  It was awful, and I would never do it again. 

mae77
by on Nov. 22, 2007 at 2:09 PM
I understand why some situations won't and can't work out.  I would have more or less leasing or living arrangement agreements.  I've lived with friends before, there were good times and bad.  I think that living with friends is a no no in most cases, but my thing if someone is determined to get temselves and their child in a better position, they should be able to stay focused.  Me, personally would have to have my own bathroom and prefer to have bedrooms not next to each other or on seperate floors.  So this is not a situation that I want anyone to go into lightly or nonchalantly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)