Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think I handled this correctly?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM
  • 39 Replies
1 mom liked this

We just went to the store to get supper. As we got in the car, dd (6) was acting funny. Hands in her pockets, not wanting to take them out. So I checkedm and she had taken a KitKat. This is the 3rd time in the last few months I have caught her with something that wasn't bought. Always before I have taken the item and talked to her about stealing and why we don't do it. Well this time I took a different approach. I marched her back in the store, made her return the item and apologize to the cashier. Then when we got home I had her eat in the kitchen and then straight to bed. I also took her handheld Vtech game her Daddy gave her friday for her birthday until she earns it back with good behavior.

Did I handle this right? Have any of you ladies been in this situation? How did you handle it?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tyfry7496
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM
You handled it perfectly!! Good job!! I worked at a grocery store and when this happened the security guard talked to the child too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calebsmommy13
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM

i think you handled it just fine!

muwchck
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never had to deal with that situation, and I hope I never have to.  But I don't think you were wrong at all.  I would have marched her back in the store the first time it happened myself (depending on when it was caught).  Hope she learns her lesson this time, because it could cause some serious consequences for you and her both.

mamadismay
You did a great job!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FourSpAcesLeFt

Quoting calebsmommy13:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms.sophsmom
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Quoting calebsmommy13:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reaandiziesmama
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM

The other two times I didn't catch it till we were home and the candy was half eaten. That's why I checked as soon as I saw her acting funny tonight. I hope she learns her lesson as well.

Quoting muwchck:

I've never had to deal with that situation, and I hope I never have to.  But I don't think you were wrong at all.  I would have marched her back in the store the first time it happened myself (depending on when it was caught).  Hope she learns her lesson this time, because it could cause some serious consequences for you and her both.

slvrbtrfly
You did an awesome job!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heather4511
1 mom liked this
Wouldn't have handled it any differently :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bearspea
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I think you handled it perfectly! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)