• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For 'small' families...Would you like a program like this? (kind of 'trade your possible leftovers')

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM
  • 18 Replies

So, one of the challenges I have found in being a single mother is making well-balanced meals for me and my son (it is just the two of us)....

I LOVE making soup and casseroles and 'big meals' -- yet, I can only stand to eat the same thing for 2-3 days, and I have a hard time finding room in my freezer for things I won't be able to eat before it goes bad.  This problem has prevented me from making more involved (and extra delicious!) meals.  I get stuck with making a pizza or sandwich.  Anytime I make 'better' main courses I have to find room for the left overs or give it away to others (costly).

I think it would be great to form a club or a program where small families can get together and share their cooking (and left overs!) --

How it would work:

There is a business in my city which provides a commercial kitchen for 'workshops'

To start, let's say 5 small (2-3 member) families get together and prepare (let's hope, healthy) main course (lasagna, enchiladas, soups, casseroles, roasts, anything that can be 10+ servings).

Prior to the workshop, each family will be responsible for supplying a recipe and a list of ingredients.  The program would buy all the necessary ingredients and the cost would be split evenly between each family (including a minimal cost for the kitchen and to compensate the facilitator who spends time grocery shopping). 

There would be 'stations' where each main course would be prepared and cooked.

Each family would leave with 2-3 servings of each main course  - enough for the week.

There are obvious logistics which would need to be worked out and other issues, but the idea is for small families to be able spend time making one main course -- but get the benefits and variety of several main courses.....they would just need to add the sides.

Also, it would be an opportunity to meet new people and connect with families and share recipes. 

I have no idea what the cost would be or exactly how it would work, but I hope you get the idea. 

Is this something you think you'd like be interested in participating in?

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muwchck
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:50 PM

That sounds like a great idea.  I've had to cut back so many of my recipes so that they feed 2 or 3 of us (depending on who's home), and it's a pain sometimes.  I mean, yeah, I can send leftovers with my hubby the next day, but then someone's still eating the same meal more than once.  

KRIZZ25
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM

can u make a lot and freeze it ..that's what i do..but good idea.

keljo05
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:12 PM

i've done a lot of reading onmaking meals ahead for a month.. and I actually came across groups like this for this exact reason. Unfortunately its been some time since I looked it up and I'm not sure if I could find it again.. but its definitely doable.

one_on_the_way
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Quoting KRIZZ25:

can u make a lot and freeze it ..that's what i do..but good idea.

I'd like to....but I just have a regular 'refridgerator freezer' b/c I live in an apartment and don't have room (or money) for a chest freezer.

I feel like my options are to make smaller recipes (which is very hard for me)....make really simple meals for most days (which ends up being less nutritious)....or, make what I want and try to find room for the leftovers (or give some away to family/friends). 

Thanks for your reply and for saying it's a good idea!  :o)

one_on_the_way
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Quoting keljo05:

i've done a lot of reading onmaking meals ahead for a month.. and I actually came across groups like this for this exact reason. Unfortunately its been some time since I looked it up and I'm not sure if I could find it again.. but its definitely doable.

That is what I haven't done yet.....researched this idea.  It kind of sucks because I feel like "it's MY idea!".....but, I was pretty sure I wasn't the first one to come up with it.

At the same time, since there are things like this already going on, I'll have the benefit of learning from their experiences (what works, what doesn't work) -- and hopefully leading my community to do something similar (and maybe better!).

Thank you for your reply!  I like to hear that it is doable!  :o)

KailesMommy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:23 PM
Thats a good idea. I hate eating the same thing more than twice in a week. I wnlent from cooking for 6 or 7 ppl to cooking for 2. Its very hard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
keljo05
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:24 PM

google: make ahead meal club

you'll get results geared to what you are looking for. If you know other small families or even larger there is another way to do this... have everyone make their favorite meal and put it into packages of so many servings.. and just exchange among yourselves :)

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting keljo05:

That is what I haven't done yet.....researched this idea.  It kind of sucks because I feel like "it's MY idea!".....but, I was pretty sure I wasn't the first one to come up with it.

At the same time, since there are things like this already going on, I'll have the benefit of learning from their experiences (what works, what doesn't work) -- and hopefully leading my community to do something similar (and maybe better!).

Thank you for your reply!  I like to hear that it is doable!  :o)

one_on_the_way
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Quoting muwchck:

That sounds like a great idea.  I've had to cut back so many of my recipes so that they feed 2 or 3 of us (depending on who's home), and it's a pain sometimes.  I mean, yeah, I can send leftovers with my hubby the next day, but then someone's still eating the same meal more than once.  

I love that you replied! (I'm assuming that since you have a husband, you aren't a 'member' of the single moms group)....but, your reply has enforced to me that small families are more than 'single parent families'

Married couples who have no children (or one child)

Married couples who are experiencing "empty nest" (they used to feed 4+, but now it's just 2)

Singles (who aren't married and don't have kids)

I think there are a lot of people who face the same problem......and think it would be realy cool to find a way to meet those needs.

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM
I don't like to eat food from other people's kitchens. You never know how clean they are. If it were a swap with people I knew I'd be OK with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
one_on_the_way
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Quoting KailesMommy:

Thats a good idea. I hate eating the same thing more than twice in a week. I wnlent from cooking for 6 or 7 ppl to cooking for 2. Its very hard.

Awesome!  My idea originally started very narrow (single mothers)......but I realized there are many people who would find value in something like this!  Cooking for 2 is hard for anyone......especially someone who is used to cooking for a large family!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)