Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Crap....Neighbor Issues...

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:30 AM
  • 7 Replies

Okay..so I live in a quiet community, small.  I live in a duplex outside of the city in the country so needless to stay I don't hear cars speeding by or sirens, etc.  Anyways, about a month or so ago a new neighbor moved in. I live in a duplex and this couple (about late 50's) moved in. Well...they have a surround sound or something...it is so loud. I am not a complainer at all...I am shy, reserved and despise confrontation. I am not a light sleep and neither is ds so honestly it hasn't been that big of a deal. But it's so loud it shakes my walls...and honestly sometimes I can't tell if it's their TV or if it's thundering outside.  (It hasn't stormed in over 2 months here). I am about to lose it at this very moment. Granted it is Saturday night, but it's like this EVERY night. It's 12:30am, and what do I hear? Jets flying through the freaking air on their TV...That is how loud it is. I mean I can handle noise but this is driving me to insanity.

Question...I hate, hate, hate confrontation like I said before..so I was thinking of first trying to write a note....if that doesn't work I am going to have to confront them. My boyfriend is coming home Thursday. (He is a light sleeper---the man can't even sleep with a nightlight on in the living room and wakes when I get up to pee lol). So I know that he'll have no problem confronting them if I ask him to. I honestly want calling my landlord as a last resort. I feel like a rat. I swear, I need a backbone bad.  Umm yeah what would you do?

Thanks!

Faith, Hope & Love "I Will Have Faith in YOU, Hope For YOU To Come Home To Me & Love YOU More Every Day".
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sid1083
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:32 AM
I like leaving "love notes" as I call them. It lets me get out what I want to say nicely without getting nervous about a confrontation. The way I see it, if they don't get the hint from the note and want to discuss it further, they can come to you (or better yet, simply resolve the problem). Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephMarie_Mom
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:03 AM
Ha! I'm notorious for leaving notes. I've left countless notes on cars for being parked between two spots, people leaving toilets unflushed in an office where I once worked, and various other things. However, I also have absolutely no problem speaking directly to someone.

If you're too shy, try leaving a note. However, if need be just explain to the new neighbor that the loud noise disturbs you and your son. I had to do this recently, actually. It was late at night and a neighbor had loud music on. I politely knocked and simply asked "can you please keep it down just a bit? My daughter's trying to sleep." They said "sure" and the noise was gone.

Hope anything I've said helped. Good luck!

Quoting sid1083:

I like leaving "love notes" as I call them. It lets me get out what I want to say nicely without getting nervous about a confrontation. The way I see it, if they don't get the hint from the note and want to discuss it further, they can come to you (or better yet, simply resolve the problem). Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2priceboys
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I know this situation stinks but at least you are not finding filled syringes on your front lawn and your kids watching hand to hand meth sales when you own in a middle class neighborhood.

Personally though I would talk to them as for me a note would piss me off! Communication is key, just tell them that your (Hubby) is coming home from work off the road and you would appreciate if it could be quieter for a few days as he makes up most of his sleep. Also perhaps try to ask if there is a different layout for their furniture so the TV and  surround sound is not up against a shared wall.

Good Luck!!!.....Julie

stace101
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Oh I feel for you - I know exactly how you feel. Fortunately when that happened to me I was only a few weeks off moving anyway - but that's no help to you.

I agree with Julie above, I think you need to confront them rather than leave a note. I know it's difficult but either they will be totally helpful and become friends OR they will be scum of the earth who think that everyone wants to listen to hip hop at 4am.

If the latter, you will then I hope have no second thoughts about calling the landlord or yr council or some friends to sort them out, because if they're nasty about that they will be about other things too. So it'll be a good thing you've found out about them before too long. Another reason for doing it now is that your boyfriend will be there later in the week to support you if necessary.

Sorry to waffle on - hope something I've said is of use. 

Stace 

Cenedra64
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Quoting mom2priceboys:

I know this situation stinks but at least you are not finding filled syringes on your front lawn and your kids watching hand to hand meth sales when you own in a middle class neighborhood.

Personally though I would talk to them as for me a note would piss me off! Communication is key, just tell them that your (Hubby) is coming home from work off the road and you would appreciate if it could be quieter for a few days as he makes up most of his sleep. Also perhaps try to ask if there is a different layout for their furniture so the TV and  surround sound is not up against a shared wall.

Good Luck!!!.....Julie

I agree...nothing pisses off a neighbor worse than a note...that tends to even make me want to get revenge if someone leaves a dang note.  I feel for ya.  I got a neighbor that's a drug dealer got a free ride with a rent free place since his daddy owns it.  He used to have one of them monster bass systemes in his truck. He'd do it for hours on end just to piss me off.  It was so bad it shook floors, furniture windows. I'd yell at him he'd cuss me out.  Now it's dirtbikes and gocarts for hours on end.   I'd love to just go out show him what the military trained me to do and shoot for his gas tank watch his truck and system blow into the air

muwchck
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Since they just moved in, I would suggest going over to introduce yourself.  And while you're there, causually mention that you can hear their tv in your side of the duplex, and that it makes it hard for ya'll to sleep.  Then if that doesn't work, while your boyfriend is there, have him go over and say something to them, but have him still be fairly nice.  I wouldn't wait too much before contacting the landlord though, because if you let it go on too long, the landlord may not do anything about it at all, because they might think you are being too sensitive.  Make calling the police your last resort.  There are noise ordances most everywhere that say that after certain hours (and something 24 hours a day) you shouldn't be able to hear anything from your neighbors property anywhere on your property.  Noisy neighbors are not fun to deal with, I know because I've  been dealing with some myself.  If they had been loud like this from the day we moved in, it wouldn't be so bad, because I would consider it normal noise by now.  But they didn't start doing this until shortly before Christmas when there was some drama, and they've been retaliating against us ever since, and we weren't even involved in the drama.  We have involved the security company, the police, and the leasing agent and nothing has been done.  We called a truce a few weeks back, and it's right back to where it was.  I'm doing everything I can to ignore it now, because it looks like I have to deal with it until someone moves it.    Good luck getting this taken care of.  I hope it doesn't last much longer, because I know how frusterating it can be.

raegan1221
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you ladies for your help! Now that yall say it, I agree about that the note might be inappropriate and make them upset. So I am probably going to confront them, or have Aaron confront them. Either way we need to talk to them...and if that doesn't work then I'll call my landlord.  I honestly wonder if they have a hard time hearing lol. I mean it's not like they are that young..they don't have kids..just a cat. So it's kinda weird. My Dad listens to the TV pretty loud and they're about the same age so maybe it's just an age/male thing. Not sure. But thank you again ladies for your help! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)