Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

another food tip!

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM
  • 5 Replies
Hey ladies! It's me again! Hehe I've got another food tip for you. If you've bought a huge bag of apples, or too many when they were on sale and can't seem to eat them fast enough, make some apple sauce! It's supper easy. Get your apples and slice them, take the "spine" as I call it out and the seeds. Place them in a pot of water with some sugar and other spices as you like, you can do this with the skin on, and boil them until super soft. Is they're not soft enough to mash like you would a potato, run it through a food processor or blender, add more sugar as needed. If you want more flavor, use more than one kind of apple and when you boil them, use half juice and half water. One of my favorites is to use a half cinnamon stick, 2 cloves, a dash of nutmeg and allspice, and a couple drops of vanilla extract, I also use some vanilla sugar.

Vanilla sugar may be hard to find, but you can make it at home! Buy a whole vanilla bean (can be pricey), cut the bean in half and split it open, scrape all the inner "beans" out into a bowl or air tight container of sugar, and place the whole remainder of the bean in the container, close and shake it up! The longer you keep the sugar/vanilla in the container, the more flavor you'll have. It's also great for baking. My secret ingredient in my vanilla bean cake is my vanilla sugar. It heightens the flavor so much!

So actually, that's 2 food tips! Hehe enjoy and happy cooking, ladies! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
brieri
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Thanks.   Mmm delish.

mistyvale
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Love this. Thank you. My daughter loves applesauce!
StephMarie_Mom
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:34 PM
No problem, ladies! I love to cook, it's what I do. So anytime I learn a cool new recipe, or have a favorite thing, I like to share it with others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I love vanilla sugar, I always have a stash on hand that I make!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephMarie_Mom
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:22 PM
I love that stuff and keep a stash on hand, too! It's the best thing ever! Haha

Quoting krysstizzle:

I love vanilla sugar, I always have a stash on hand that I make!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)