Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I the only one (Whitney Houston)

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:41 PM
  • 76 Replies
6 moms liked this
Who does't feel sorry for her and is tired of hearing about it. We all knew she had a drug problem, and most likely died of a drug overdose. I feel for her kids, family, and loved ones, but not her. She brought it on herself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StephMarie_Mom
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:47 PM
4 moms liked this
I can understand your point. But I feel sympathy for anyone who dies because of those types of circumstances, because we never know what internal battle a person is fighting that causes them to be self-destructive. I've had a few close relatives that have had drug issues for various reasons, and it is not easy to deal with. Drug and alcohol abuse is a very real, and difficult disease to overcome. Especially when you're feeling mentally and emotionally unstable. Not everyone is equipped to deal with certain levels of pain or hardship, whatever they may be. That's why people commit suicide or turn to other forms of destructive behavior. I feel bad for her and her whole family, she was clearly in lots of pain and not very happy. For all we know she couldve been a manic-depressive person. I just hope she found peace in death.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elrbmommy
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:49 PM
2 moms liked this
I feel the exact same.... people, and celebrities need to realize if you smoke a bunch of crack and pop a bunch of pulls, your gonna die.. its inevitable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
5BMom
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:09 AM
I am with you...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovinLiv
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:15 AM
I'm with you. I feel sorry for her kid for the most part. I do feel bad for her because I feel like every death deserves to be mourned (and I know you aren't saying otherwise) but I don't like the media around it and I'm sick of hearing about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DDDaysh
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I haven't really heard much about it at all.  Someone mentioned it last night.  We googled it, said, "wow", and that was all I'd heard until you posted this.  

Is it all over TV or something?  

AUNTIEG73
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:23 AM
6 moms liked this

Her celebrity has nothing to do with her addiction.If you don't like the coverage then blame the media because I really don't think she thought hey if I die I'll get news coverage.I would not feel sorry for her if she were someone in denial about her addiction who only went to rehab to avoid jail.She sought help for her issues on multiple occassions she didn't try to buy her way out of her problems.No one deserves to die so young.

5BMom
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this
She had every chance to get clean. She had resources available to her that the lower and middle classes do not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:28 AM
7 moms liked this

The power of addiction is so strong and all encompassing that not even the people who have large amounts of money have the strength to overcome it at times. I'm wondering...if it was your child, or someone in your family that was fighting the struggle to stay clean and sober, would you feel the same way if they were unable to stay sober and passed away because of their addiction?

Quoting StephMarie_Mom:

I can understand your point. But I feel sympathy for anyone who dies because of those types of circumstances, because we never know what internal battle a person is fighting that causes them to be self-destructive. I've had a few close relatives that have had drug issues for various reasons, and it is not easy to deal with. Drug and alcohol abuse is a very real, and difficult disease to overcome. Especially when you're feeling mentally and emotionally unstable. Not everyone is equipped to deal with certain levels of pain or hardship, whatever they may be. That's why people commit suicide or turn to other forms of destructive behavior. I feel bad for her and her whole family, she was clearly in lots of pain and not very happy. For all we know she couldve been a manic-depressive person. I just hope she found peace in death.

Proud Momma to one terrific 3rd grader.

wearing crowngirl giving flower

SinceresMomma
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:46 AM
6 moms liked this
If it were someone close to you, you would feel that way. She's being honored because she was a huge celebrity not because she was on drugs. Don't judge, you were not in her shoes and if you were you would see that drugs are not easy to overcome
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephMarie_Mom
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:56 AM
6 moms liked this
After I say this, I'm done. But I need to make this clear as crystal. I think those of you who are saying things that are so off-handed and pretty much "oh well, she could've got help" probably haven't had to deal with a loved one dealing with addiction. Most often than not, people who are so judgmental like that are usually people who don't have experience in that area. Not everyone's life is so easy that they can wake up and say, "well, I guess I'll start doing cocaine today, and then I'll quit next week. I just wanna have a few good lines." 9x out of 10, people who wind up with a substance abuse problem, whether its from drugs or alcohol, are usually suffering from deeper issues. Some people take years before they're able to finally get clean and stay that way. Most often than not, people who have substance abuse issues relapse a few times before staying clean. Apart of the process of kicking the habit is therapy, and it does not always work right away. Stop being so judgmental if you don't have any experience with such issues. It's as easy as you may think. I speak from experience in dealing with loved ones with issues, and I know how damaging it is. My own biological grandpa (my mom's dad) is currently battling a substance abuse problem that has been recurring for years. I've had others close to me dealing with their substance issues, and it's painful see someone you care about destroy themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)