Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Planned Parenthood *updated with a calculator*

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 1:19 AM
  • 47 Replies
17 moms liked this
I just wanted to make something very clear, because I don't think it's understood as it should be. Planned Parenthood is NOT an abortion clinic. They are a clinic/facility dedicated to women's health! They provide annual exams for women, breast cancer screenings, birth control, std/hiv/aids testing, sexual abuse counseling (some locations), and yes some locations are also equipped to perform abortions. If you don't want an abortion, don't have one. But do not deny your fellow sister the right to medical benefits from a wonderful place to receive women's medical access because you don't agree with everything being done there. It's not as if they're forcing you to perform the procedure. And it's not as if they're walking up the street with a shotgun shooting people at random. I've heard of far worse things being done, than a woman having an abortion. And also, who's business is it of yours what another woman does with her body?! you don't even know who this woman is, what her struggle is like, and what has taken her to make such a decision.

Tangent done.

*so I came across this article and wanted to share. If people like rick santorum took away our birth control access through clinics like planned parenthood as well as insurance, we'd be paying way more than they assume. Type in your age and the type of birth control you use and it calculates how much you'd pay for birth control for the rest of your fertile years.

http://motherjones.com/politics/2012/02/calculator-birth-control-expensive-really-cost?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=tweet&utm_campaign=calculator&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=costs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 1:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sid1083
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 1:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Amen sister.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anastasia1414
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 4:36 AM
6 moms liked this
High-five! We are all entitled to our own opinions, some are pro-choice some are pro-life and thats okay. But if you dont agree with abortion thats your decision for YOURSELF it is not your decision to make for someone else. Women got treated like crap in the 1900's, They had to have babies regardless of the situation and i know my great grandma wishes they had the medical technology we do today, her son was born with his bowel on the outside and before pro-lifers say "least she got to meet him and hold him" no she didnt. She had complications and by the time the doctors finished saving her life it was too late she never got to meet him. And i feel like a woman attacking another woman over HER body and HER decision is wrong. Its okay to be either without shoving it down each others throats. And planned parenthood do a fantastic job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTuree
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 6:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for this! Regardless what anyone's views on abortion are, trying to eliminate Planned Parenthood is a horrible, horrible thing. So many women rely on their services because they can't afford insurance. Denying people that already need help life saving services and denying our youth the education that Planned Parenthood provides is a disgrace.

I really do wish people could look beyond their abortion views to see all the other wonderful  services PP provides to women (and men too! anyone can go in and get std/hiv testing! how could anyone not want those services readily available?!).

Hierophant85
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree 100%. Planned Parenthood has been getting a bad rap lately and it's all focused on abortions. They do so much mor than abortions, they help with birth control, do STD testing and so much more. Abortions is just a small piece of what they do. 

If they weren't helping to provide birth control the same people complaining about the abortions would be complaing about all the parents recieving aid for their children and how they should have been on BC to prevent it and all that.

I don't think I would ever get an abortion but it's not my place to say wether someone else does or not. I don't have to live with the repercussions of it, they do. My best friend got one when she was 16 and she went throguh a tough time, emotionally, afterwards. She did what she felt was best for her at the time. Now she has 2 kids and is one of the most devoted and loving mothers I've ever seen. Maybe going through the abortion changed her that way. 

MamaTrucker937
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

clapping

StephMarie_Mom
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you ladies, for sharing. I really appreciate your input and support. As women, I firmly believe we need to stick together as sisters because we get attacked so much. We're attacked by these politicians that want to remove our health and medical options, by various groups who treat domestic violence or rape as a personal problem, and even by other women who act "holier than thou" when it comes to these same issues. I'm pro-choice because I believe in supporting my fellow sister in HER decision. I'm anti-violence against women of all races and religions because as a group we've been beat on an ostracized for generations. If we don't protect each other, who will. On my fb acct I subscribe to updates from both planned parenthood and eve ensler, and I read about these fights that women had 100yrs ago, but they're happening today with women who look, live, and love just like we do. It breaks my heart and always has. If any of you don't know who eve ensler is, she's an amazing woman and fighter against violence towards women. As a child she was sexual abused, she overcame some horrible difficulties and became the women who created "the vagina monologues". Her vagina monologues spread worldwide and has helped thousands of women. It's women like that who truly inspire me. If I could,I'd hug all of you right now. Thank you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaFLgurl
by Lucas' mama on Feb. 21, 2012 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Hell yes preach it sister!!!!!! Planned Parent Hood helps sooooooo many women in so many "health" ways.

There's always *stupid* people in Tyler that is always outside PPH with signs. They even bring there little kids with them. The funny thing is, the one in Tyler DOESNT do abortions, the one is Dallas does. If they did research they would know this.  *SMH* I laugh at them when I drive by.

iluvmybabe
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM
2 moms liked this

YES! i go there for birth control and yet when i go there i feel looked down on. its awkward for me sometimes but then i just ignore it. i know i'm doing what i have to to take care of myself and my body.

StephMarie_Mom
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 1:03 PM
And that's exactly why I said "some locations perform abortions"! Haha some people don't get it. There's a planned parenthood near my apartment, but the don't perform abortions. They provide all of the other services, except that one.

Quoting MamaFLgurl:

Hell yes preach it sister!!!!!! Planned Parent Hood helps sooooooo many women in so many "health" ways.

There's always *stupid* people in Tyler that is always outside PPH with signs. They even bring there little kids with them. The funny thing is, the one in Tyler DOESNT do abortions, the one is Dallas does. If they did research they would know this.  *SMH* I laugh at them when I drive by.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PaperClip811
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this

i love you more and more each day :o)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)