Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Would you be a SAHM...

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Mia
  • 61 Replies
...at this point in your life? Let's say you met a man who made enough that you could live comfortably as a family off his one income. Or if your current SO/DH came up enough in pay so that you could be able to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brieri
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:32 AM

yep.  I feel I am already in that position. He takes good care of me.

MamaTrucker937
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, no. I have always been independent and had my own money. I don't think I could give up working in that situation and be completely reliant on his income. I would love to be able to stay home with my son, but I just couldn't give up earning my own money.

animebuddy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this
No I couldn't be a SAHM. Ill always feel like I need to provide for my kids, so having my SO taking over wouldn't fly for me. Plus I have no desire to depend on someon else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diamondsarecool
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

it depends how you view the topic. I love being a stay at home mom . I have worked since 88, had back surgery in 2004 and wasnt able to do the job requirements b/c of dr restrictions/limitations. I am on ssd which gives me my own income to do my part of bills, etc. I love not having any crisis with baby sitting, emergencies , kids needing picked up from school at spur moments etc. I think it's a blessing to be sahm. makes no sense to work just to pay 3/4 of paycheck straight to daycare. that's just my own opinons though. My husband wants me to be SAHM for several reasons. Yes, He does work steady full-time job and with overtime.

PaperClip811
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:27 AM
I dunno. I might be in the position to make that decision soon, I definitely want to give it a go. Im so sick of spending 55+ hours a week away from home.
But I do wonder if I'll be able to handle not having my own income. Feeling dependent on DF for things I never had to worry about the last 11 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Krystle21
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Yes I would. My kids will be in school this fall so I'd have a part time job during the day while they're in school but I'd want to be home with them when school is out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2007mommy2be
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Yes and no. No becuz i just launched my career and dont wanna give it up. Yes becuz I would love to be at home with my 18 month old, baby due n July and when my 4 yr old got home from school. Ive been a sahm before tho with my first born and 8 mos of my 2nd born. Being a single mom now i dont have that option.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xpectingmama10
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:34 AM
I am a SAHM for now but SO's job is seasonal so now I am looking for work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephMarie_Mom
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:36 AM
I have a goal to have my own small at home business. So for me, the answer is no. I enjoy working, and more importantly I enjoy specifically what I do. I'm a culinary student and love to cook. If I didn't do something I enjoyed, I'd probably feel different. But because of my goal/career path, I have no desire to just stop what I'm doing and stay at home. I love my daughter beyond words and more than life. But I also enjoy my work. I feel fulfilled being able to do both. And I love the example I'm setting for my daughter. It's a lesson that only I can teach her as I'm the one she looks to and at everyday for guidance. I want her to feel as though she can do and be anything she wants. And what better way to teach that than to fulfill my own goals and explain what I'm doing? She see's my uniform and says, "my mommy's a cook!" With a huge smile, and it makes me proud that she's proud. She watches "ratatoulle" and says, "my mommy does that." It's a great feeling. She's seen my old military pictures and uniform and has said, "my mommy's a soldier." And that's just mind blowing. I was actually an airman, but small kids don't differentiate that, so it's ok. But the point is, she sees what I do and who I am, and so far I've made her proud. And she's seeing me as a role model, and that's important to me.

*sorry such a long reply. I kinda went on a tangent! Hehe*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2007mommy2be
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:42 AM
This is how i feel/felt. Back n 2008 dh begged me to be a sahm with our son. I did and feel 50/50 about the decision. Glad I got to be home with ds and go to college to finish. Still havent yet. I have 15 credits to go. But also being out of work for awhile made it hard to get back into the work place. I did/do own a business which at the time helped with income cuz see dh kept getting locked up. Shit hes locked up now. Im divorcing him this yr.

Quoting MamaTrucker937:

Honestly, no. I have always been independent and had my own money. I don't think I could give up working in that situation and be completely reliant on his income. I would love to be able to stay home with my son, but I just couldn't give up earning my own money.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)