Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM
  • 47 Replies
What does it mean custody wise if u dont put dads name on the birth cert? Example ... u dont put childs name on birth cert ... dad takes u to court to see the child. What happens then? Also ... does anyone know what it means to give ur baby ur last name and dads last name after urs? So two last names (no hyphen).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chanel5nyc
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:00 AM
If the father name is on bc, he has the same custody rights you do until you go to court.

If his name is not on the bc, when he goes to court he has to establish paternity. Then they will talk about joint custody, visitation, etc.

As for your last name question, it just means the child has 2 last names with hyphen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2007mommy2be
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Thanks. Can I give baby both last names without putting his name on the birth cert?

Quoting Chanel5nyc:

If the father name is on bc, he has the same custody rights you do until you go to court.

If his name is not on the bc, when he goes to court he has to establish paternity. Then they will talk about joint custody, visitation, etc.

As for your last name question, it just means the child has 2 last names with hyphen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chanel5nyc
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Yes. You can put whatever name you want.

Quoting 2007mommy2be:

Thanks. Can I give baby both last names without putting his name on the birth cert?

Quoting Chanel5nyc:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2007mommy2be
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:30 AM
When I wanted to hyphenate my ds's last names the girl wouldnt let me. She said I couldnt. Wtf? Dh and I were married hence the dh. So i didnt hyphenate dd's last name so it matched ds's. Now im preggers by an ex bf (its over with dh and i). And well ex bf and I arent married, so no hyphenating.

Quoting Chanel5nyc:

Quoting 2007mommy2be:

Quoting Chanel5nyc:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2aprince86
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I couldnt tell you on this one my DD's dad isnt on the BC He only asked to see her once in a while. But she has my last name same with my DS. My DD's dad signed a paper saying she was his but thats it.

Chanel5nyc
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:37 AM
Who told you that? Maybe whoever said that was wrong or maybe she was right. I don't know what state you are in, but you need to find out.

Quoting 2007mommy2be:

When I wanted to hyphenate my ds's last names the girl wouldnt let me. She said I couldnt. Wtf? Dh and I were married hence the dh. So i didnt hyphenate dd's last name so it matched ds's. Now im preggers by an ex bf (its over with dh and i). And well ex bf and I arent married, so no hyphenating.

Quoting Chanel5nyc:

Quoting 2007mommy2be:

Quoting Chanel5nyc:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2007mommy2be
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Hmm. Thanks for replying. See ... it makes me sick that he isnt correctly preparing for a baby he BEGGED me to have. This is his first. And well his home is not suitable for a child and esp an infant. He will have to fight me tooth and nail on this. He can come see the baby in MY home.

Quoting momma2aprince86:

I couldnt tell you on this one my DD's dad isnt on the BC He only asked to see her once in a while. But she has my last name same with my DS. My DD's dad signed a paper saying she was his but thats it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2aprince86
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Quoting 2007mommy2be:

Hmm. Thanks for replying. See ... it makes me sick that he isnt correctly preparing for a baby he BEGGED me to have. This is his first. And well his home is not suitable for a child and esp an infant. He will have to fight me tooth and nail on this. He can come see the baby in MY home.

Quoting momma2aprince86:

That is how i do it. He ran from her for 4 years.  He Wife at the time didnt allow him to have much to do with her. Now its to late. He sees her on my time at my place. He hasnt gone to court about vistation. and if he does I have plenty of Info on him that it will be supervised visitation. Her dad is from kenya and im scared to death he will try to take her and I wont see her again. As of right now he hasnt seen her since before Christmas. 

2007mommy2be
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:47 AM
@ Chanel ... the girl who came in to do the birth cert paper work (recording babys name etc). I wish I fought harder, or maybe its n my best interest for the kids best interest cuz wouldnt a hyphenated name make it easier for dad to kidnap them perhaps?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
petite101
by Danielle on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Shanell gave you the answers I was going to about custody. As for the last name thing, in Ga the child will get your legal last name. They won't let you choose which name to give him. I'm going through this right now. Because I was still married to my ex, my son (who's father wasn't my legal husband) got my ex-husbands last name because it was my legal name and I had to refuse a father to put on the birth certificate or my ex would have been put on it. It's a crap ass law they have here in Ga. Depends on the state you live in and their laws though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)