Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those of you who have had postpartum depression, question.

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:36 AM
  • 4 Replies

I had my boy 2 weeks ago and I can tell I've gotten PPD. I already suffer from anxiety/depression so I knew I would get PPD before I gave birth. His crying is starting to get to me now. He doesn't cry very much, only when he needs something. But when he does, he'll either scream along with his cry or he'll force himself to cough while he's crying. I force myself not to be rough with him because I know it's my PPD taking over. I'm terrified of doing something to him. My mom and sister both had REALLY bad PPD and my sister is actually in prison for something she tried doing to her son due to her postpartum. I get mad at him when he cries then I usually cry afterwards because of how scared I am that maybe next time I'll do something and just the fact that I get mad at him. 

I take anxiety medication and I see a therapist but I need ideas for helping me calm down when his cry starts to get to me. Sometimes I go in my bathroom, close the door and turn the sink on for like 2 minutes so I don't hear him and I take deep breaths until I go back into my room. That usually helps. My dad and grandma help me during the day but at night they don't since they're obviously sleeping. Does anyone have ideas to help me get my head together for when he starts crying?

PitaPata Cat tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
muwchck
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Call your doctor and see what they suggest.  My meds had to be changed after having my oldest because of PPD.  I was on anxiety meds at the time, but they didn't help with the PPD at all.  I didn't have PPD after my second was born, but I think a lot of that had to do with having my hubby around to help, and I didn't have any of that the first time.  If you know you are experiencing PPD, the best thing you can do is talk to your doctor.

Chanel5nyc
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Call your doctor ASAP. Is there hotline you can call? In NY, you can call a parent hotline to talk to someone if you are stressed out. Maybe there is something like that in your state.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephd710
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Walking away is always a good thing when you become overwhelmed. And yes, talk to your doctor. I got on antidepressants after having my girls and it helped so much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lexsmommaO8
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Change your meds , maybe? I took zoloft while I was pregnant but stopped because I kept reading and seeing all these things about taking while pregnant. I stopped going to my therapist & all. which was a huge mistake. I recently went back in decemeber and tried another anti depressed. I'm on lexapro now just 10 mgs at night and it does wonders. I might only had 2 or 3 "bad days" since the end of decemeber. I see a whole "new" me just as well as everyone else. besides momma, your gonna have your ups & downs .. that's apart of being a mother. When my almost four year old has a melt down , it used to get to me so bad. but now I just ignore her because the more I feed into her melt downs the more she starts to kick and throw herself around. I know you can't do that with a newborn. When my nine month old cries, I try to make sure nothing needs to be done - but sometimes he just wants some of mommys cuddles and I do that. (HUGS) please remember were here for you , & please talk to your dr and hopefully everything will work itself out :) ps. take things one day at a time. maybe when the baby is sleeping try & take a nice warm bath and put some music on and light some candles ! lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)