• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hard Facts about Viisitation and Custody

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM
  • 54 Replies

Currently, only 15 percent of divorced fathers have sole custody of their children'; 8 percent share full joint physical custody, meaning that the cihild spends roughly equal time living with each parent.  Noncustody parents tend to be the forgotten players in the drama of divorce.  Whenever the media do write them into the story, they're generally cast as the bad guys--the abandoning father, the father who doesn't pay child support, the father who remarries and ignores the children he had before.  Unforunately for children, statistics show too much of this to be true:  Fewer than half of divorced fathers see their children more than several times a year, and between 20 percent and 30 percent have not seen their children in the past year.  Typically, fathers keep in touch with or spend time witth their kids in the months and years immediately following the breakup, but over time, the frequency of contact often diminishes.  About one-third of fathers who remarry never see their children from previous marriages.  Not surprisingly, a father's emotional relationship with his children affects ofther aspects of their lives.  For instance, fathers' compliance with child support orders is highest among those whose visitation routine is regular, frequent, and includes overnight stays.  (However, lack of visitation does not relieve a parent of his or her child support obligation.) Unless under certain circumstances.

*********************************************************************************************************************

NOTE:  You can also change this scenario to replace the father and putting mothers in the space.  Most mothers are not likely to give up seeing their children or not pay c/s unless there are certain circumstances that makes those changes.

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms_mom_81
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

so sad....but true.

rec104
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:27 PM
That's sad, but true :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KailesMommy
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:34 PM
Sad but true
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM

So to all of you say it is sad but true.  If your SO is not involved with your kids, what do you do to make the change so he/she will see them?

Krystle21
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:01 PM
My kids father lives in a different state. I used to take the trip to him when Mr kids were babies but he wouldn't show up so I stopped. If he wants to see my kiddie he has to come to me n he doesn't so its his loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Quoting Krystle21:

My kids father lives in a different state. I used to take the trip to him when Mr kids were babies but he wouldn't show up so I stopped. If he wants to see my kiddie he has to come to me n he doesn't so its his loss.

So you say it's sad? What have YOU done to rectifying the problem, besides stop taking the trip to having your kids see him?  Do you have a court order specifying you no longer have to travel the route?  Or did you just make up what he is supposed to do by traveling to come to your place?  I am not trying to offend or bash - just trying to find some answers.

MommyofJustin
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM

very true but sad, and in my case, it would probably be better off if he went and did that because he is abusive..... :'( and I am afraid for my childs safety and life

MommyOfOne2710
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:19 PM
My ex lives very close to my house. He works overnights but he has days during the week where he sits at home. He could come see his son, but he is always "sick," or his "back hurts," or he's "tired." I decided it wasn't my job to get him to see his son. He could contact me any time he wants to see DS - but he just doesn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommynac
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Where is this information coming from? Just curious.

mrsary
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this
She tried to assess the issue by taking her kids to see him more than once. Each time he did not show up. It is his turn to initiate contact. She cannot force him to care. If someone doesn't care then they just don't.

Quoting brieri:

Quoting Krystle21:

So you say it's sad? What have YOU done to rectifying the problem, besides stop taking the trip to having your kids see him?  Do you have a court order specifying you no longer have to travel the route?  Or did you just make up what he is supposed to do by traveling to come to your place?  I am not trying to offend or bash - just trying to find some answers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)