Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Job advice please!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM
  • 15 Replies

I need advice, I've been looking for a job since November. I just got my certification as a school counselor in Missouri and Illinois and that is my passion and what I desperately want to do. Schools normally start interviewing in March/April but jobs are not easy to come by. I just got offered a position with the state of Missouri. Good benefits, decent pay and from what I hear, a great place to work. They've had 3 openings (that I know of) in the last 4 months. Here's the problem, the office I've been offered a position in is an hour away (with no traffic), that only gives me about 5 minutes leeway to get back to get Kylie from daycare in time. I don't have back up here that I could rely on every day of the week and it wouldn't be worth it to get a babysitter for 15-30 minutes each day. Would you take the job or wait and pray I can find something else? Her father could not get her but one day a week. I also have an interview on Tuesday and the possibility of getting another offer from a different place. I do have enough money saved up that we would be okay for about 1 1/2 years but I don't want to use up that money if I don't have to. I am currently getting unemployment and making more on unemployment than a lot of jobs I'm looking for! Ridiculous!! 

I ask for advice but I don't see any options besides saying no unless they are willing to let me off earlier every day. There are no other daycares in the area that stay open later, I cannot afford paying for somebody to watch her and I really don't want to drive 50 miles each way to work. 

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chanel5nyc
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM
Take the job. You might have to hire a babysitter to get your child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this
This or find a day care close to where you'd be working. Jobs are hard to come by, especially good paying ones with benefits.

Quoting Chanel5nyc:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aj23
by Amanda on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:03 PM
I'd decline it. If you don't like the drive before you've started you'll hate it after a couple of months of doing it.

If you really want to take it then you need a sitter. 5 mins isn't enough padding for anything and you have to have some sort of plan in place for someone else to get her. Maybe someone at the daycare knows of other options.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM
I agree with finding a daycare near where you work. That would mean more quality time together in the car.

Any way you can ask for an extension on letting the first job know until after next interview?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
5BMom
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Take work while you can get it!!!!!!!! Find a new daycare tgat is close to work and have that quality time with DD in the car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
donyabug
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Where at in MO do you live?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Find a sitter/daycare closer to where you would be working is more economical.

mysty923
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I would not turn down a state job

I think maybe looking into before and after school backups is the smartest idea

WHen my oldest was in pre-school I know a lot of professional parents called me and asked me to be their backup and put me on the list for their kids since my schedule was flexible

mommynac
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:59 PM

This. And go on your interview next week.

Quoting tyfry7496:

This or find a day care close to where you'd be working. Jobs are hard to come by, especially good paying ones with benefits.

Quoting Chanel5nyc:

cadeesmommy0120
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I was going to say look for daycares close to where you work.  I work in IL but live in WI.  My commute is 35-45 minutes and DD's daycare is by work.

Quoting tyfry7496:

Quoting Chanel5nyc:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)