Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Anyone else?

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM
  • 21 Replies
Do you get defensive when people try to criticize your parenting? I'm in the process of trying not to, but when I was going through my divorce my ex and his family would pick apart every patenting choice I made and try to say I was a horrible mother no matter what I did. I was doing it completely alone, so I would get really pissed because it wasn't like they wanted to help, they just liked to put me down. But now if someone even offers helpful advice I resort back to getting defensive because I'm just so used to it :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wife2Chris0411
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I don't get defensive about that, i usually laugh if it is really out there.

Mia1983
by Mia on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, when it happens. My family is pretty laid-back, mind their own business type of people. So I have never been criticized by them. But the thing that pisses me the **** off is when friends who HAVE NO CHILDREN try to offer their "expert" parenting advice. I'm all for reading to inform oneself, but don't tell me how to parent or tell me what you would do when you haven't any experience of your own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CountryStrong84
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM
I do that with my second child, but I have a complex about my first one lol.

Quoting Wife2Chris0411:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1979mommy
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Sometimes I do but I rarely get criticized about my parenting skills. That's not to say they're so amazing they don't deserve it, but only because the majority of people around me know my life, know my kids and know my parenting style. On the few occations I have heard something about how I parent I'm offended because they don't know me, my kids or how they act.

CrystalMarie83
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:43 PM

only if they say it in a malicious way. im not an expert on being a mother and appreciate any ADVICE and different opinions.

Wife2Chris0411
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:43 PM

My ex loves to stir the pot, i guess i have grown use to it that whenever anyone tries to belittle my parenting i laugh. I didn't really hear negative stuff about my parenting until we split up.

Quoting CountryStrong84:

I do that with my second child, but I have a complex about my first one lol.

Quoting Wife2Chris0411:

CountryStrong84
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM
See I'm trying my best to do that when someone says something about Allison. It's just like a bad habit, after I blow up I go back and think on it, then I start thinking clearly lol

Quoting CrystalMarie83:

only if they say it in a malicious way. im not an expert on being a mother and appreciate any ADVICE and different opinions.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrystalMarie83
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM

what do they say about her?

Quoting CountryStrong84:

See I'm trying my best to do that when someone says something about Allison. It's just like a bad habit, after I blow up I go back and think on it, then I start thinking clearly lol

Quoting CrystalMarie83:

xpectingmama10
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Ya its mostly my brother and SIL but my dad told them to back off
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xpectingmama10
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM
And they have no kids and have only been around mine

Quoting xpectingmama10:

Ya its mostly my brother and SIL but my dad told them to back off
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)