Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DS1-school/testing update

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM
  • 10 Replies

Had a meeting at the school today to go over all of DS1's testing that was done.  There was testing done on his social skills (how he deals with his feelings and his peers....this test was done mainly by asking me the appropriateness of Kanin and his actions in situations), fine and gross motor skills, a psychologist did some testing, he appears to be a visual learner and also just did some observations on how often he needs to be redirected to stay on task. 

It was found that he is very particular about things and he needs things a certain way before he can go on to the next task (I have always said he has some OCD), his afternoons are better than his mornings, his language skills are good, and his gross motor skills are intact, but fine need some work.  There is more and I know I am missing it, but in the end they didn't determine him to have a learning disability, they suspect some Aspergers maybe (I have suspected this too).  They were able to categorize him as "other health disorders" (or something like that) to 'put him in the system' thus we will be starting an IEP and he will be able to get the help he needs.  For sure the counselor will still work with him on his social skills, OT will be working on his fine motor skills, they will determine what they can do to help him cope and learn in the school/classroom setting. 

I am encouraged by this as they have all worked so hard in trying to help him so far.  The testing took almost 2 months because of having to break the testing down into smaller segments in order to get accurate results because of his attention span (one of the tests took 4 different days).  But also saddened/relieved to hear that someone else feels he fits the Aspergers description, but it is kind of hard to swallow at the same time. 

So for the rest of the year we will pretty much work on building his IEP, and it will be implemented officially next school year. 

by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:24 PM

BUMP!

photogal831
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Well im glad there is now a plan of action in place...i can understand where it would be bitter sweet news....just keep in mind knowledge is power and now that you know you can start to help him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Thank you so much hun.

Quoting photogal831:

Well im glad there is now a plan of action in place...i can understand where it would be bitter sweet news....just keep in mind knowledge is power and now that you know you can start to help him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:27 AM
I know its hard to hear a confirmation of what you felt but its good because he will be able to get the help he needs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Apr. 14, 2012 at 4:45 AM
Thanks hun.

Quoting LifeCafe42:

I know its hard to hear a confirmation of what you felt but its good because he will be able to get the help he needs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:59 AM

BUMP!

5BMom
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:16 AM
My DD has fine motor delays and some sensory issues, so I understand. It is nice to have answers, though....and a good feeling to know your mommy's intinuition is somewhat right. Everything you have talked about is treatable, or at least can be mitigated with therapy and hard work, and THAT is a great thing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Thanks hun, it had been a struggle trying to figure out is ADD/ADHD & ODD, bmabd now I kind if feel like we added fuel to the fire but then again like we added water finding his strengths and weaknesses.

Quoting 5BMom:

My DD has fine motor delays and some sensory issues, so I understand. It is nice to have answers, though....and a good feeling to know your mommy's intinuition is somewhat right. Everything you have talked about is treatable, or at least can be mitigated with therapy and hard work, and THAT is a great thing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by Janet on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Glad he's getting the help he deserves!! Keep fighting for him and make sure the IEP is followed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Oh I will fight tooth and nail as I have been!! As for following the IEP, I don't think it will be a problem. They kind of already follow an individualized plan for him.

Quoting tyfry7496:

Glad he's getting the help he deserves!! Keep fighting for him and make sure the IEP is followed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)