Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Disabled & alive or better off dead *POLL ADDED*

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:29 PM
  • 374 Replies
4 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Could you do it?

Options:

Yes

No

Undecided

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 898

View Results

So I'm just now watching an episode of Dr. Phil I dvr'd last week and it's about a woman who has 2 children. Both of who were born "normal" ( or whatever society deems normal) At the ages of 7 and 8 they were diagnosed with a disabling condition (forgot the name) and now 17 years later they are both confined to wheelchairs, do not speak and have feeding tubes.

The mother wants to be able to legally euthanize both of her children by lethal injection to put them out of thier misery. The only way she could "kill" them legally is to pull out the feeding tubes causing then to starve to death. She says that if she had never gotten the feeding tubes for them they would have died already. The siblings have no sense of feelings so there's no way to tell if they are in pain.

Could you do it? Could you kill your child/ren to put them out of thier misery? Knowing that when you're gone your child/ren will be cared for by strangers? What do you think?

Personally, I'm conflicted. Idk how I would handle it if I were in the situation.  I mean on the one hand you don't know if they are suffering because they have no way of telling you but at the same time since God is the only one who can give and take life, should you be allowed to take it? 

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM
18 moms liked this

NO WAY!! I was ticked off watching the episode!! Who you willingly wnat to kill the child.  Lethal injection!?  It's like putting your dog or cat to sleep!! SO WRONG!!!

5BMom
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM
23 moms liked this
I saw that episode. The feeding tubes should never have gone in to begin with....not when their outcome is 100% predictable. Now this mom who chose this life for them only sees them once every few months... I honestly don't think I could euthanize my children buf I damned well no I would not have taken life saving measures to begin with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cowgirl_Momma19
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM
33 moms liked this
Personally, just the thought of being alive while my son was not is gut wrenching. I love him and would do anything for him. I don't know what kind of woman would want to "euthanize" her children. They aren't dogs. They may be a burden in her eyes but they are living BREATHING people. They might not be able to feed themselves but they deserve life. Babies can't walk, talk, or feed themselves. Should we just euthanize them too?..... Horrible woman in my eyes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raegan1221
by Raegan on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:45 PM
13 moms liked this

That's so sad. I personally could never "euthanize" my child. That's like referring to a dog in my opinion. I am sure it's difficult for the Mom but I love my son more than life itself and would gladly lay down my life before I would even contemplate allowing my child to die.

dutchmama2011
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Quoting raegan1221:

That's so sad. I personally could never "euthanize" my child. That's like referring to a dog in my opinion. I am sure it's difficult for the Mom but I love my son more than life itself and would gladly lay down my life before I would even contemplate allowing my child to die.

LovinLiv
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM
3 moms liked this
I understand wanting their pain to be over but no way!!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LexRi0709
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM
118 moms liked this
I firmly believe that as a human being we are entitled to leave this world with some dignity. Not laying in a bed of our own feces and urine with bedsores that are so bad they require treatment at a hospital. I do think it is a decision for the patient to make. a comatose patient has no quality of life. If there is absolutly no hope for recovery then they should have the right to be euthanized. If I am ever in that state I pray my husband would do me the honors and end my life. I don't want to live stuck in a wheelchair, not able to move, having to have feeding tubes and ivs of god knows what coming out of me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM
26 moms liked this
if my child is going to die unless hooked up to machines I would just let him die. i could never stand to see my very wild hyper son who should be out playing in a bed w machines making his body stay alive. Hed deserve to be free. Hed be free if pain and in Heaven where id see him again. Id let him go and not put him on machines and if the Good Lord decided to preform a miracle and give him back to me then so be it. but i would never hook my son to machines ever. so id never have to pull a plug.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caleighsmommy
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:34 AM
32 moms liked this

very interesting question...

I understand never wanting to let your child go but at some point you haveto consider they arent having a quailty life... granted being euthenized isnt exactly the best term but she doesnt want them to suffer anymore. Yes they may not be able to tell if they are suffering from pain but still. I think to keep your child alive in such a state is realyl more of a parent being selfish and not wanting to let go, but im not sure if it was my child that I could let go......however at some point any parent would have to understand they arent going to have the child back they way they were before.........Also if you believe in god woudlnt you want your child to go and be happy with him instead of miserable here? I dont so that wouldnt b an issue but if you did...........

MamaFLgurl
by Lucas' mama on Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM
35 moms liked this
Quoting Caleighsmommy:

very interesting question...

I understand never wanting to let your child go but at some point you haveto consider they arent having a quailty life... granted being euthenized isnt exactly the best term but she doesnt want them to suffer anymore. Yes they may not be able to tell if they are suffering from pain but still. I think to keep your child alive in such a state is realyl more of a parent being selfish and not wanting to let go, but im not sure if it was my child that I could let go......however at some point any parent would have to understand they arent going to have the child back they way they were before.........Also if you believe in god woudlnt you want your child to go and be happy with him instead of miserable here? I dont so that wouldnt b an issue but if you did...........

I couldn't have said it better myself.

IMO that's not living, that's just surviving. As hard as it would be, I would let my child go to God.I know I will see him again when my times comes. 

I also think of it this way, if it was switched and that was me,I wouldn't want to continue being like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN