Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Disabled & alive or better off dead *POLL ADDED*

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Could you do it?

Options:

Yes

No

Undecided

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 898

View Results

So I'm just now watching an episode of Dr. Phil I dvr'd last week and it's about a woman who has 2 children. Both of who were born "normal" ( or whatever society deems normal) At the ages of 7 and 8 they were diagnosed with a disabling condition (forgot the name) and now 17 years later they are both confined to wheelchairs, do not speak and have feeding tubes.

The mother wants to be able to legally euthanize both of her children by lethal injection to put them out of thier misery. The only way she could "kill" them legally is to pull out the feeding tubes causing then to starve to death. She says that if she had never gotten the feeding tubes for them they would have died already. The siblings have no sense of feelings so there's no way to tell if they are in pain.

Could you do it? Could you kill your child/ren to put them out of thier misery? Knowing that when you're gone your child/ren will be cared for by strangers? What do you think?

Personally, I'm conflicted. Idk how I would handle it if I were in the situation.  I mean on the one hand you don't know if they are suffering because they have no way of telling you but at the same time since God is the only one who can give and take life, should you be allowed to take it? 

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:29 PM
Replies (21-30):
sweetnorth
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Life is a gift from God. So you are right that only God can take them. The feeding tube question is a hard question. My brother laid for 10 years suffering with feeding tube and he had to have his arms and legs operated from going back to the fetal position. It was heart breaking! The doctors said after the 14 hours brain operation that he wasn't there and awhere. But when the TV was on, he would point to the doctors and nurse to change the channel to his football games and grut if they didn't put it on and grut in pain if they hurt him. He finally passed away many years ago. But we couldn't pull the plug cause we all missed him dearly and we still were having the hope that he would return to us. It was a hard decision that everyone has to make. But with a child it's doublely heartbreaking. And you hold out the hope that some drug or treatment can bring them back to you. Me, myself, I couldn't do it. I would pray every day and still love them and care for them. Cause we are on this earth to love and care for are children. And when the end of this world comes and when we are standing in front of our Creator, we can then say that we did our best to love and care for our own. We are the ones that make them with God's help and we are responsible for them until they are grow or we die......

ameliacaldeira
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:09 PM

i have no idea what i would do, it makes me sad to think about it.
but i think her point was that god gave her children this disease and if it wasnt for her intervention god would have taken them from misery along time ago and she was extrending their pain, so she removed the intervention and left them to gods hands 

IWannaLoveAgain
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Such a touchy subject.. and I'm torn.

As a mother, when do you say enough is enough? Having a life where you're unable to show emotion, eat, drink, communicate, move is not having a life, and is not what I would want for myself, or my children. But how can you, as a mother, kill your child?

I wouldn't ever want to be put into this situation and I would hate to have to make such a decision. =\

JanuaryBaby06
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:11 PM

both of my parents and hubbyand i, as well as my siblings allhave DNRs on file.

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

All of our parents (as well as hubby and I) have DNRs on file.  There would be no feeding tubes to begin with.  So yes, in essence, I would let my parents die.

Quoting Mommyto2LilMen:

So what if your mom or dad had a stroke and were unable to eat, drink, care for themself, personality was gone and they needed 24/7 care. Would you kill them?! I sure has he** wouldn't!!

Quoting mlg1989:

Quoting Mommyto2LilMen:

NO WAY!! I was ticked off watching the episode!! Who you willingly wnat to kill the child.  Lethal injection!?  It's like putting your dog or cat to sleep!! SO WRONG!!!

So you'd starve them to death or keep them alive to be like that THEN worse?

I think its more cruel to keep them alive honestly...a tube in their stomachs for over 15yrs, they'd choke if they eat. They don't talk or make eye contact and they barely move in their wheelchairs.

They are basically dead but being FORCED to stay alive.

The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms

Azzura
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

If they are suffering you could make the case that it is selfish to keep them alive and trapped in these bodies so the mother wouldn't feel guilt. If they aren't suffering, why end their lives? There is no such thing as normal anyway right? Theres no way to know how they are feeling, I would let nature take its course and let them experience life as best they can until the situation changes and their suffering is apparent.

prenatalRN
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:22 PM
4 moms liked this

I didnt see the episode so I wont comment but I cant imagine the pain you would feel trying to make huge medical decisions for a loved one who cant speak for themselves. I would never judge someone in that position.

I wanted to comment on your comment that only "god" can give or take life. Last time I checked god has nothing to do with life and death as the government regularly executes prisioners and tells women how the can and can't reproduce. I bring this up just to question the context of your question

BEXi
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I probably wouldve never put in the feeding tubes to begin with. How horribly sad. :'(

Koosh
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:24 PM
2 moms liked this
If I was in that situation I would do the same thing, if i saw one of my pets was suffering with no quality life then i would euthanize them, the same with a child or one of my family members if i had the choice, I would euthanize them too. It's only right that we humans get the same as our pets who many consider other children. I know I think of my dog and cats as other children i have to take care of. It is a sad world when we don't let pets or our working animals suffer and then when we are suffering we have to just have to deal with it and can't do anything about it.
BEXi
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I also would never want to be alive in a vegetable state. I have already made this VERY clear to my SO and immediate family.

FLmommy0204
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM
4 moms liked this

""since God is the only one who can give and take life, should you be allowed to take it? ""

So was putting in the feeding tube playing God in the first place? 

Also, to those comparing it to dogs.... Why is it was are humane to put a dog out of it's misery, but evil to wish for our loved ones suffering to end? 

(Just playing devil's advocate here)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)