Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Don't know what to do?!

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM
  • 14 Replies

My husband and I have been seperated since December 2011. We are talking about divorce now. We get along better apart than when together. My S2BX wants to lawyer together and try on agreeing on things (which we do for the most part). My parents think that I need to get my own lawyer (took look out for my best interest). We have 2 children with another due here in June. What does everyone think?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama_grizz
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:24 PM
I would get your own lawyer. Listen to your parents lol, they're also looking out for your best interests.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crzctl8de
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Get your own lawyer.  I've seen women get screwed way to many times by the "friendly dual lawyer" approach.  It can still be friendly but you need to make sure you kids are covered. lol

SinceresMomma
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Get your own!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lindie29
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Even it could mean I get screwed over? S2BX is giving me a lot for cs and paying half on our cc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sid1083
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM

GET YOUR OWN!!! Run the state calculators to find out how much child support he'd supposed to be paying anyway (you might be surprised). If you live in a community property state, he'd still be liable for 1/2 the cc debt anyway. You might get along now, but love's usually lost when it comes to money and kids - you should protect yourself first. Niceties second.

brieri
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Hi and welcome to the group.  Many of these moms are talking from experience.

You will also go through Mediation to get the best results, both parties are in attendance.  Listen to your get your own lawyer.

Jeni1124
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:12 PM

A lawyer cannot represent both of your best interests 100% at the same time. Get your own attorney. If you guys can just agree on everything then neither of you would need an attorney at all. If thre needs to be one, there needs to be two.

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Get your own

And stop having sex with him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lindie29
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:51 PM
I never said I was still having sex with him. We weren't seperated when I got pregnant.

Quoting happymommy1105:

Get your own

And stop having sex with him

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom5150
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:57 PM
Yeah, even friendly divorces can get ugly. Mine did. get your own and protect yourself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN