Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeling Guilty

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:16 PM
  • 5 Replies

Some days I feel so guilty. Why? I work full time from 8 to 5 Mon thru Fri. So I drop my son off at daycare around 7.30 and pick him up around 5.30. On Tues and Thurs, I go to school for three hours. Most of the time on those days, I don't see my son at all. School starts at 6.30 and ends at 9.30. I don't always have time to go home before running off to school. 

By the time we get home on Mon, Weds, Fri, it is almost six. My son (he's 2) goes to bed anywhere from 7 to 8 depending on his day. Most of the time it is 7 or 7.30. So, I see him maybe an hour to an hour and half in the mornings and a hour to an hour and half in the evenings. He spends so much time with my mother because of the crazy schedule. She'll pick him up on Tues and Thurs for me. 

I feel guilty because I have so many great ideas and things for him and I to do. We just run out of time. I get to see him for two blissful days on the weekends. But that's it. I am his only parent. He needs me. Lately, I have noticed how much he misses me. He is so needy lately and clings to me at random times. He will whine for me (which never happened before), run over to me, hug me tightly for a few moments then run off and play.

I know I have to work to provide for us. I know I have to go to school to further my career. I just wish I could be with my baby a little longer. I don't want to look at him and realize he's 15 all of a sudden. How do I stop the guilt? I am driving myself crazy

by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Jeni1124
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Would he have his needs met if you weren't working?

I get the guilt, I feel the same way. Somedays I get home and its time for bed. It sucks and I feel horrible. All day at work today all I could think was how much I wanted to be home with her, but then I couldn't provide the financial things she needs. One day I hope that she is able to look back and realize that I spent all the time I could with her, but I had to work so much to provide her with a home, food, clothes, etc.

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:20 PM
I quit working a regular job and work from home.for this very reason.

It's more stressful honestly but I feel like its a better.choice for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GlowingxMomma
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I hope he does realize I did everything I could to give him all the things he needs. We get no support from his father at all. Not by choice. We have a court order and all. He just changes jobs more than my son changes his socks. So we never get money from him

MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:30 PM
I feel that way too. My son is in day are M-F 7:30-5:30 and I am doing online college for my bachelors degree. I have hardly any time for anything. He wants to stay up when I study because he wants mommy. But then we wind up staying up too late which isn't good either. It's hard cuz I want more time with him and to be able to relax instead of study.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
McKennasMommy11
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I live at home so I don't have to worry about bills to pay, but I support myself and my daughter in every other way possible. I work part-time and go to school part-time and I still feel like I never spend time with my kid. Sure, I feel guilty sometimes, but I know that I'm doing everything that I need to do to try to better our lives.

There's nothing you can do about the guilt, I don't think. But spend as much time with your son as possible on the days that you can. It'll get easier when he's older and in school while you're working.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)