Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Do you get your ex a birthday present from his dd?

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:21 PM
  • 14 Replies

Just wanted to get some advice or comments. My ex and I were married for 8 yrs and currently share custody of a 2 1/2 dd. We have been apart since last Jan 2011 and were officially divorced this past February.

His birthday is approaching, do I get him something from our daughter? And if so what? I will have her draw him a picture but I didn't know if should do more??? And if so what??

Thanks!!!!

by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SLOmommy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Just my opinion... Something "from your daughter" would really show how much you're trying to be cordial and take the "high road" approach.
I used to do this as well bc it's very important to me to be friendly. Then he got a GF and she now loses it when I do anything like that. I'm accused of "wanting him back" when it was ME who filed for divorce LOL - go figure right?
It's been fun :-/
Anyway, I think it's a great idea as long as it's something sort of "homemade" and from your daughter :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Nope his bday just passed. He's moving back to our city next week. So next year of he's consistent I will do a little something for my son to give him or whatever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on May. 3, 2012 at 3:35 PM
No...he doesn't for me, my parents usually be sure to 'help' the boys with gifts for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FIREFOX1336
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:44 PM
Get a box of cake mix and some jars and have project time with dd mix the cake mix pour into jars, half full then bake put lids on as soon as they come out of oven let cool then let dd decorate the jars with stickers or finger paints. Makes it a little more personal from dd. and in the jars it will stay fresh for a couple weeks. Send with dd next time she visits him with a jar of icing and it will be a treat dd can share with him.
llion18
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Quoting SLOmommy:

Just my opinion... Something "from your daughter" would really show how much you're trying to be cordial and take the "high road" approach.
I used to do this as well bc it's very important to me to be friendly. Then he got a GF and she now loses it when I do anything like that. I'm accused of "wanting him back" when it was ME who filed for divorce LOL - go figure right?
It's been fun :-/
Anyway, I think it's a great idea as long as it's something sort of "homemade" and from your daughter :-)

Yes, it would be "homemade", I am not willing to spend a whole lot anyways..

I do want things to be friendly but he is the type who will read into things and that is not what I want to happen. In no form or fashion do I want him back, I too was the one who filed.

Just don't know what to make...the typical picture frame, painting or what...

llion18
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Quoting FIREFOX1336:

Get a box of cake mix and some jars and have project time with dd mix the cake mix pour into jars, half full then bake put lids on as soon as they come out of oven let cool then let dd decorate the jars with stickers or finger paints. Makes it a little more personal from dd. and in the jars it will stay fresh for a couple weeks. Send with dd next time she visits him with a jar of icing and it will be a treat dd can share with him.

Great idea!! Thanks!! You can bake the cake in the glass jars??

petite101
by Danielle on May. 3, 2012 at 4:00 PM

No. I go as far as making sure she calls him and thats it.

PaperClip811
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:00 PM

i used to, but he has a long time GF so unless he just takes it upon himself to do something I don't really mess with it, cause she does.

I do remind him to call, though (he's 4)

Caleighsmommy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:09 PM

i dont because he doesnt for me, we are fine with that. if my daughter wanted my help doing something for him i would help her tho.....

llion18
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Yes I am going back and forth between yes and no. I also don't want to set any expectations for going forward either. Once she gets older, she can do whatever she likes. But I would like to be somewhat friendly, for her sake. The man just drives me batty and I really don't know if i want him riding the "ego train" any longer, haha..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)