Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Do you get your ex a birthday present from his dd?

Posted by   + Show Post

Just wanted to get some advice or comments. My ex and I were married for 8 yrs and currently share custody of a 2 1/2 dd. We have been apart since last Jan 2011 and were officially divorced this past February.

His birthday is approaching, do I get him something from our daughter? And if so what? I will have her draw him a picture but I didn't know if should do more??? And if so what??

Thanks!!!!

by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Replies (11-14):
faerie75
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 6:20 PM
I don't buy my ex anything and we don't even hate each other. I just don't care. When they were small they could make him something of they chose. Now I just make them call him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenn31
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

That will be a Hell NO. I tried that in the beginning, and I was just accused of wanting him back. The only thing he will get from me is flowers on my dd 18 birthday. Just to let him know that my 18 year prison sentence to Him is Over!

SLOmommy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:44 PM
I'd ask your daughter what she'd like to make first. I think the idea would be to make it as much "from her" as possible.
I agree that these things should be the kids' choice but she's only 2 1/2 so right now we have to teach them the right way to act (which I think includes showing her dad she loves him on his Bday). Unless/until he has a GF that can handle it, and until kids are old enough to express the interest themselves, I think it falls on the mom :)
I gave my ex a framed photo of our son..no big deal.
Good luck!

Quoting llion18:

Quoting SLOmommy:

Just my opinion... Something "from your daughter" would really show how much you're trying to be cordial and take the "high road" approach.
I used to do this as well bc it's very important to me to be friendly. Then he got a GF and she now loses it when I do anything like that. I'm accused of "wanting him back" when it was ME who filed for divorce LOL - go figure right?
It's been fun :-/
Anyway, I think it's a great idea as long as it's something sort of "homemade" and from your daughter :-)

Yes, it would be "homemade", I am not willing to spend a whole lot anyways..

I do want things to be friendly but he is the type who will read into things and that is not what I want to happen. In no form or fashion do I want him back, I too was the one who filed.

Just don't know what to make...the typical picture frame, painting or what...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heather4511
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:46 PM
My brothers dad always got mom something "from my brother" for Christmas, not her bday though. I dont see anything wrong with a gift made from her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)