Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

me and uhaul......

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:25 PM
  • 8 Replies
Gonna fight!!!

They have charged me to the tune of $400 and are now texting me saying I owe more money!!!

I did the math and the absolute most I should owe is $150!!! That's with the miles, rental fee, dolly fee, and insurance!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on May. 3, 2012 at 9:45 PM

YIKES!  Good luck!

LeeLee375
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Wow! I hope they get it straight!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on May. 4, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Wow! That's crazy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamadee1971
by Dionne on May. 4, 2012 at 2:33 AM

How many trips did you make? Or was it a one way move?  They (Uhaul) were suppose to tell you how many (for the first few) miles to equal the flat rate, and how much for each additional mile, and that you have to return their truck with the gas tank exactly where it was or more or you will be charged for that.

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:15 AM
It's 99 cents a mile. Ww drove 60 miles.

$30 a day...we had it 2 days

$10 flat rate for the dolly

$14 flat rate for the insurance.

Quoting mamadee1971:

How many trips did you make? Or was it a one way move?  They (Uhaul) were suppose to tell you how many (for the first few) miles to equal the flat rate, and how much for each additional mile, and that you have to return their truck with the gas tank exactly where it was or more or you will be charged for that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JennH81
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM
If they charged your cc call your bank and have them freeze the transaction due to a dispute. Have the Until location give you a kung by line break down of these charges. Look st what they are charging you for and compare it to your contact. One word of caution. Do not accept them telling you the rental period is 12hrs terms. That is a truck they use if rentals are slow.

If this was a one way rental you may be paying a drop fee. This can be waived if they so choose. This is another revenue builder for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Weibull
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Hi, New member here and been lurking for a very long time but I think I see what is going on here.

I see a few issues immediately and can totally understand why you think you owe less and they think you owe more.  In just a few minutes playing with their website to see what costs there are, I noticed you said you had the truck 2 days, but the flat rental rates you listed for the insurance and for the dolly are what you would pay if you rented them for a single day.  Anyone can go to the website and do a rental for 1 day and see the insurance and dolly rates as what you posted.  Likewise, they are higher amounts for those items if you need to rent them for 2 days.

Well, if you are leaving out that you rented the truck, with insurance, and a dolly for 1 day but decided you would keep it an extra day and should only have to pay an additional $30 per day then this issue you are dealing with would certainly arise.  Even if you called them at the end of the 1 day period and actually told them you need to keep it another day, they would have said no because that would cause them to break contracts with other customers the next day.

When you decide to keep a rental vehicle longer than your contract is good for, you don't just get charged an extra day.  Rental vehicles are not like netflix movies.  Chances are you got hit for two days for the truck, two days for the dolly, two days for the insurance, a late fee for the truck and the dolly, don't forget about sales tax, plus they probably took your deposit.

If you signed a rental contract for a 1 day period but kept it 2 days then this is probably not a fight you are going to win.

Quoting happymommy1105:

Quoting mamadee1971:

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM
Oh I talked to them. Sorry I didn't update the post.

I wad right and they were wrong. They charged me incorrectly.

I owed $162.50 which is slightly more than we thought but not $400.

Quoting Weibull:

Hi, New member here and been lurking for a very long time but I think I see what is going on here.

I see a few issues immediately and can totally understand why you think you owe less and they think you owe more.  In just a few minutes playing with their website to see what costs there are, I noticed you said you had the truck 2 days, but the flat rental rates you listed for the insurance and for the dolly are what you would pay if you rented them for a single day.  Anyone can go to the website and do a rental for 1 day and see the insurance and dolly rates as what you posted.  Likewise, they are higher amounts for those items if you need to rent them for 2 days.

Well, if you are leaving out that you rented the truck, with insurance, and a dolly for 1 day but decided you would keep it an extra day and should only have to pay an additional $30 per day then this issue you are dealing with would certainly arise.  Even if you called them at the end of the 1 day period and actually told them you need to keep it another day, they would have said no because that would cause them to break contracts with other customers the next day.

When you decide to keep a rental vehicle longer than your contract is good for, you don't just get charged an extra day.  Rental vehicles are not like netflix movies.  Chances are you got hit for two days for the truck, two days for the dolly, two days for the insurance, a late fee for the truck and the dolly, don't forget about sales tax, plus they probably took your deposit.

If you signed a rental contract for a 1 day period but kept it 2 days then this is probably not a fight you are going to win.

Quoting happymommy1105:

Quoting mamadee1971:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN