Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Are There Any Landlords Here Or Someone To Help Me With Question ?

I really need help I  don't know what to do. Please give helpful answers. Last month around the 7th or 8th my fridge stopped getting cold the freezer kept working. Everything in the fridge spoiled. I called the landlord she told me  other tenants had this problem and what I needed to do was empty the fridge and either place bowls of hot water or use a blow dryer to melt the ice. Which I did a day and a half later it was cold again. Yesterday it started acting up again so I am having the same problem. My question here and I really feel silly asking but, being forceful is not my strong suit, should I once again empty the freezer and do the whole blow dryer thing or call her and demand a new fridge?

by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Replies (21-23):
mysty923
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Yes, and if it is an apartment you should not have to!

That is not fair to you!   I would call and ask her politely to replace.  Another idea could be to look in craig's list or other used furniture places - then send her the things you found.  A fridge is not a high expense for a landlord.  I am sure she can get you a new one for under 400 dollars and it would save you both grief

Good luck

Quoting happytobeRJsmom:

. I  looked on the fridges website and it was made in 1991 I'm not sure what the life span of a fridge is but, I am thinking mine is gone. I can't afford to keep replacing  things every month.

zmama22
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:10 PM

i'm a landlord and when my tenant's fridge broke, i got her a new one within the week because it couldn't be fixed. put your request  in writing: according to section ? of our  lease agreement, a refrigerator is included at no cost to me. as you are aware, the refrigerator broke on date, you told me this was a problem with several tenants and told me to fix it by (the above procedure). unfortunately, all of the food in the refigerator spoiled and i had to replace it. The same problem happened again on date. i cannot afford the cost of replacing the spoiled food again, and would like you to address the matter immediately by repairing or replacing the refrigerator. Please let me know when you will fix the problem. I can be reached at...

zmama22
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Quoting brieri:

Contact the landlord for a new frig.  If she won't do so, then tell her you will buy a new frig and when the time comes, you will take it with you. 

good idea too but you will buy the fridge and deduct it from your rent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)