Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

moms of girls

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:33 PM
  • 13 Replies
I am beginning to believe that this new baby is a girl. I keep having dreams about w girl. I keep thinking its a girl.

I'm very nervous to have a daughter. (Yes, I will be having them check at 20 weeks to confirm my suspicions) my own mother and myself.have a terrible relationship. My fear is that I won't be able to be a good mom to her.

Did yall have any fears about having a girl?

How did you overcome those fears?

Do you have a good relationship with your daughter now?

By the way, bf is over the moon that I am coming over to his side.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Belovedmoonpixi
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I had a lousy relationship with my mom. That being said, I was never afraid of having a girl, and we get along famously! We are not just mother and daugher, but also good friends.

ozarkdragonfly
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:23 AM
I have two girls. With my first I was nervous about becoming a parent but not to a girl specifically. I get along great with both of my girls. They are my world.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I always wanted a son, but had 2 daughters instead.  I never had any fears about hving daughters and never had a problem with them.  They were great children and are now great adult and teenager.  It all depends on how you raise them.  My girls are my best friends, we are very close.  IMO girls are more fun to raise than boys because you can dress them up when they are little and you have more in common with them.  I promise you will do just fine with a girl... just raise her the best you can and it will fall into place.

stace101
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:50 AM

I spose I'm the opposite - I was so pleased I was having a girl, partly because I was only 17 and wouldn't have known how to raise a boy (or so I thought, and my experiences with babysitting boys has proved that!). My relationship with my mom wasn't good, but I think that's exactly why you'll make a good mom of a girl, cos you'll be aware of all the things your own mom did wrong. I'm sure raising a girl is easier overall. They say it is until the girl becomes a teenager - which I'm sure my mom wud agree with about me! 

Twinglemomi
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:04 AM

I have all girls, my sister has all boys (we each have three). I would have loved to have had at least one boy, but you don't really get a say! You will be a great mom, if there are reasons you and your mom don't have a great relationship...at least you know that and can try to head off anything severe in those areas. It will come to you as you need it.

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM
The biggest reason my mom and I don't have a great relationship is cause she never has anything to nice to say about me. Even as an infant, all she does is complain about me.

As an infant I had colic. That is all she will talk about, like I at 6 weeks old had control over it.

On my first birthday, she threw a huge party but I didn't like it and wouldn't show off the way she wanted. That's all I hear about.

When my brother was born (2) I didn't want to share my mom. I was 2. Pretty sure that's normal.

The list goes on and on. My mom never talks about how I was a straight A student, got into college early and was able to graduate from high school early. She never talks about how I started a mentoring program in high school. Or that I volunteered in the church all the time. Or that I was able to get college completely paid for with scholarships. She never talks about the awards I won or anything like that.

Just that I was this horrible child and am a horrible adult.

Quoting Twinglemomi:

I have all girls, my sister has all boys (we each have three). I would have loved to have had at least one boy, but you don't really get a say! You will be a great mom, if there are reasons you and your mom don't have a great relationship...at least you know that and can try to head off anything severe in those areas. It will come to you as you need it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bxmom2580
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:21 AM
I never met my real mother and I hate my adoptive mother bc she mentally and emotionally abused me all my life, me and my daughter so far have a good relationship
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephMarie_Mom
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:42 AM
To me it sounds like your mom harbors a lot of jealousy towards you, especially if she feels like she hasn't accomplished anything good and productive in her life.

You've accomplished some very good things and should be proud. If you're having a girl, celebrate that and teach her your accomplishments so that she can know how to be an intelligent and productive woman. If we were sisters, I'd brag about you all the time! Haha

I have a girl, I knew I was having a girl before I ever got pregnant. When I found I was pregnant, I knew it was my girl. I dreamed that I was going to have a daughter when I was young, it was a recurring dream that I had for some reason. Anyway, I was excited when it was confirmed. My mom and I have had a tough relationship since I was a teen. Typical, huh? Lmao anyway, I'm 29 now and over the past few months, our relationship has improved greatly and we have way better conversations. I adore my daughter and I just try and make a conscience effort to avoid saying snide things that I felt my mom said to me. As parents, regardless of the child's gender, all we can do is avoid mistakes our parents made. You'll do fine with a girl, and your accomplishments can be teaching lessons. Since you already know how your mom treated you, you can make the conscience choice not to treat your own daughter that way.

Quoting happymommy1105:

The biggest reason my mom and I don't have a great relationship is cause she never has anything to nice to say about me. Even as an infant, all she does is complain about me.

As an infant I had colic. That is all she will talk about, like I at 6 weeks old had control over it.

On my first birthday, she threw a huge party but I didn't like it and wouldn't show off the way she wanted. That's all I hear about.

When my brother was born (2) I didn't want to share my mom. I was 2. Pretty sure that's normal.

The list goes on and on. My mom never talks about how I was a straight A student, got into college early and was able to graduate from high school early. She never talks about how I started a mentoring program in high school. Or that I volunteered in the church all the time. Or that I was able to get college completely paid for with scholarships. She never talks about the awards I won or anything like that.

Just that I was this horrible child and am a horrible adult.

Quoting Twinglemomi:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GraceHudson
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:43 AM
bump

rebmarie90
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I had dreams about having a girl when I was pregnant with DS and dreams about a boy when pregnant with DD. I wanted one of each. I have a decent relationship with both my parents but I also have issues with both of them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN