Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

this year sucks :(

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:34 PM
  • 21 Replies

so bf and i moved into our house almost a year ago. our lease is up june 30.

well the realtor that manages the property emailed bf asking if we wanted to stay and waht we thought a fair rent was. we told her yes we want to stay and we think the current rent is fair. she replied that the rent will be based on the condition of the home (which is fine) and that rents have inceased FOURTEEN FUCKING PERCENT here in the last year and she thinks it will be going up.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!!!!!!!

there is NO WAY we can afford ANYTHING of the sort. our budget is so fucking tight!!!! that would be a 300 increase!!!!!!!! we already pay fucking 2350!!!! (we live in cali)

we havent replied, but we are having the annual inspection this wednesday. that is fine, we cleaned yesterday and will be cleaning today. not worried about that. we are going to try telling her that we think the current rent is fair. that we have found houses in our area, and comparable areas, in the same price range, and that it was a bit inflated last year. and that our rent was quite a bit more than the last tenant. and we will agree to continue to do all minor repairs on our own. then tell her that we ahve replaced the pumps in both toilets and the garbage disposal at our own cost this year. and that we are willing to sign a two year lease. and that we think long term tenancy is important.

if she MUST raise ti, we are going to tell her we cant go over 2400. and that we will not pay garbage. because when we moved in, the garbage wasnt included so we went to turn on garbage service and apparently there was a law made last year that garbage must be in the homeowners name, so garbage is included in rent now. i know the cost gets passed on, but it says "garbage included" and meanwhile we are paying 30 more dollars over what our lease says because she asked us to.

i have been online all fucking morning trying to see if there is a limit how high tehy can raise your rent and apparently in our city only mobile homes and apartments have limits, and single fam homes are excluded. i cant find shit.

UGH FML!!!!!!!!! we DO NOT want to move. in fact, we cant even afford to! last year when we moved, i used part of my tax return. well we dont have any tax return because we needed a larger vehicle. so if we cant get her to agree and have to move, we will probably have to stay w someone for a month or two. i dont even know who would take all of our fucking asses in!

ugh i always was a check away from homelessness. this might put me there.

by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faerie75
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 4:36 PM

and, my baby is under my lemon tree :(

Chanel5nyc
by Shanell on May. 7, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Oh wow. That sucks. 14% is a lot for one year. Hopefully you and her can come up with a reasonable amount.
happymommy1105
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 4:43 PM
I am sorry that really blows!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crzctl8de
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:45 PM

The State should have some guidelines on what is an acceptable increase if the city or county doesn't. Good luck. 

faerie75
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 4:50 PM

^ive looked everywhere. the only have limits for apartments or mobile homes. i cant find anything for single fam homes.

Chanel5nyc
by Shanell on May. 7, 2012 at 5:01 PM
I can't find it either. But looking the rent laws, I came into the conclusion that Cali rent laws suck. Lol.

Quoting faerie75:

^ive looked everywhere. the only have limits for apartments or mobile homes. i cant find anything for single fam homes.

crzctl8de
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:15 PM

This will help.  It doesn't matter what type of dwelling.  Check to make sure you are not in a rent controlled county. 

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/index.shtml

muwchck
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

That sounds like what our last aprtment complex was wanting to do.  They tried to raise the rent $100 which is about 15%, but they didn't take care of anything at all, and there were health code violations like crazy.  We didn't even finish up the lease (by 30 days), and if this place keeps up the way it is, we'll be gone by the end of the lease here too.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 6:47 PM

thanks for the link. i know we have rent control (my city is listed) but its 8% on apartments or mobiel homes. it says single fam dwellings are excluded. but i cant find where or if single fam dwellings have a limit. where could i find out? all ive been able to find is that they have to give you 60 days written notice before they raise it. doesnt say if there is a limit.

ugh in sf they have a limit of 1.9. that sure would be nice.

Quoting crzctl8de:

This will help.  It doesn't matter what type of dwelling.  Check to make sure you are not in a rent controlled county. 

crzctl8de
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Call your Local HUD office, they should be able to give you almost exacts.

Quoting faerie75:

thanks for the link. i know we have rent control (my city is listed) but its 8% on apartments or mobiel homes. it says single fam dwellings are excluded. but i cant find where or if single fam dwellings have a limit. where could i find out? all ive been able to find is that they have to give you 60 days written notice before they raise it. doesnt say if there is a limit.

ugh in sf they have a limit of 1.9. that sure would be nice.

Quoting crzctl8de:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN