Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I feel overprivileged...

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:12 PM
  • 42 Replies

I just wanted to apologize if I offended anyone with my post about my furniture. I took it down 'cause I felt like I was giving off the wrong vibe. I just wanted to share my "style" with everyone. I don't get to do this anywhere, and none of my friends have time to come see it - they all work or go to school.

I just want to know if there's anything that I can improve on when it comes to sharing these kind of things. I really am not trying to flaunt it in a malicious way, you know "HAHA YOU POOR BITCHES, LOOK WHAT I HAVE!" That's not it at all. I already know I probably get heaps of help more than most women in here. I feel like my case is extraordinary because of the amount of support and help I get...but the really sad part is, I have absolutely no real life experience NOT being so dependent on my parents. Honestly, the only independence I have from their support is school. I do everything on my own, I pay my own bills, and in the odd case which happens maybe 1 or two times a year - they will bail me out of debt with my credit card - but they know I use it to get groceries and stuff for DS. I provide them with my credit transactions. Sometimes, if I paid everything else off, I have nothing to buy my bus pass, and it's $61.10 a month.

So idk. I don't believe I'm the only overprivileged mom in here, but I probably am the only overprivileged single mom. Everyone else is married or has a fiancee or SO. I don't have none of those.

Idk, I kinda feel really shitty. I hope I didn't send the wrong vibe. I don't have anyone to share my little bit of happiness with.

Ngi ne themba - I have hope.

by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chanel5nyc
by Shanell on May. 7, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Don't be sorry. I wasn't offended by your post. It's your money, fuck it.

MicahBoo07
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a single mom to two boys and I don't have a bf, never been married. I always been doing it on my own. I didn't see ur other post so not sure what it was about but why would people say anything bad about ur post or what u have for however u got it? U are who u are and get ur stuff by whatver means and no one has a right to say ur this or that because they can't handle it. I have worked for everything I have and because I am a smart shopper I can have what I have its not much but it is mine for life lol best believe I won't be changeing decore anytime soon. I am in debt but some how my bills always get smaller and smaller but they never go away. U are fine with whatever post u put up just there a lot of people in this group that have a wide range of opinions on different topics.

MamasaurusPrime
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I know. Idk. I felt like I was giving off the wrong vibe and it bothered me. I guess in a way I can see it being depicted that way, but I almost feel out of place in this group 'cause I can't really relate to anyone's financial struggles, even though I have really migraine-inducing struggles from the shit my son's dad pulls on me from time to time. I actually am dealing with something really nasty his mom said in his defense. I stopped texting her over it.

Quoting Chanel5nyc:

MamasaurusPrime
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:24 PM

No. nobody said anything bad. But a lot of people did say they were jealous, even if it was out of fun - it still affected me in a way, YKWIM? And I agree - I won't be changing decor anytime. What I have now, is with me for at least 30+ years until I can afford a good paying job.

Quoting MicahBoo07:

I'm a single mom to two boys and I don't have a bf, never been married. I always been doing it on my own. I didn't see ur other post so not sure what it was about but why would people say anything bad about ur post or what u have for however u got it? U are who u are and get ur stuff by whatver means and no one has a right to say ur this or that because they can't handle it. I have worked for everything I have and because I am a smart shopper I can have what I have its not much but it is mine for life lol best believe I won't be changeing decore anytime soon. I am in debt but some how my bills always get smaller and smaller but they never go away. U are fine with whatever post u put up just there a lot of people in this group that have a wide range of opinions on different topics.

Chanel5nyc
by Shanell on May. 7, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I think some moms in here that are not struggling financially, don't post about it because they are scared that they are going to offend other moms.

Quoting MamasaurusPrime:

I know. Idk. I felt like I was giving off the wrong vibe and it bothered me. I guess in a way I can see it being depicted that way, but I almost feel out of place in this group 'cause I can't really relate to anyone's financial struggles, even though I have really migraine-inducing struggles from the shit my son's dad pulls on me from time to time. I actually am dealing with something really nasty his mom said in his defense. I stopped texting her over it.

Quoting Chanel5nyc:

MamasaurusPrime
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I don't really struggle, but I still live well under the poverty line. Even with my "free" living allowances I get, it really only adds up to $14,000 a year. Average net income used to clear you above the line is $30,000. Anyone else under that is considered to be in poverty.

Quoting Chanel5nyc:

I think some moms in here that are not struggling financially, don't post about it because they are scared that they are going to offend other moms.

sallij
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Girl, be proud of it! I bought my first "real" new furniture (2 dressers) and sent pictures to EVERYBODY.

I know what you mean, though. I joined not that long ago but sometime hesitate to post/respond. I have a BD about whom my biggest complaint is that he doesn't love me lol. I was lucky enough to have a retirement to cash in when I was laid off and we separated, so though I stick to a budget, I'm never truly broke like I know others may be.

That said, I am absolutely proud of what I've done to get to where I am. That money and my financial choices didn't just magically happen. I put hard work into it and if I want to share then damn it I will!

And FWIW I thought your stuff looked great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
5BMom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't stress if. I am a trust funder with generous alimony and CS. I don't hide it... I am who I am and if people don't like it, they can suck it :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GraceHudson
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:33 PM
bump

MicahBoo07
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I think more of the none strugging moms are ones with bf's or husbands so they aren't relating well to the ones who are single moms trying to make it in the world. Its good to have a device group like this but sometimes I wonder why non-single moms are in here since they got out of it so there should be a group called single moms that got a SO then those people could talk about there new lifes and such.

Quoting Chanel5nyc:

Quoting MamasaurusPrime:

Quoting Chanel5nyc:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)