Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Dismissive GAL

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 14 Replies
Hi everyone. Im havijg euch a hard time and fear i am about to lose my cool. Never married, ex cheated in me when our son was 6 months old, chuld support and visitation schedule (joint custody and primary placement with me) at about a year old, a bad attempt to get back together that ended in restraining orders and our final draft of visitation at 2 years old. Our son is now 4 1/2.

We are back in court because father requested 50/50 placement in order to not pay the child support he already wasnt paying. I got a lawyer. We then were assigned a guardian ad litem for our son. My problem is that it feels like both my lawyer and the GAL dont really listen to what i have to say. The GAL is patranizingly nice but then quicjly dismisses my concerns mid-sentence. I could handle this if i knew everything would work out for the best and i only had to deal with it for a short while, but...

Today at court the GAL made me cry in the waiting room. The father has been avoidijg the GAL and my lawyer by not giving proper address, so he never met with the GAL until the very last minute, causing it to be too late for the GAL to meet with bith of us again before court. So the GAL told me this, adding the father brought our son to the meeting (a few months ago father brought our son to court! Askung commissioner to let our 4 yr old say who he wanted to live with!) and that he would be telling the court he needed more time to meet with bith of us. But suddenly he began oushing a new pick up/drop off schedule/arrangement on me.

We use the police station because of restraining orders. The GAL has a petsonal vendetta agaijst this practice and makes sure to tell me so constantly. Its the only place i feel safe, and now he forced me to be ok with father getting random people to come to my house to pick up and drop off our son. And if the father drives aling, they have to park down the block and walk to the house...

WTF??? I cried! I was so embarassed. I tried to tell him i didnt want this and he actually "shooed" me with his fingers and told me to "calm down".

Then, he made it so my father (im a 34 year old woman... Why do i need my father involved in this?????) has to pick my son up from the every other sunday visit since father keeps moving and currently lives far away and my lawyer doesnt want me going to that police station alone.

What is going on? I feel so out of control! Why are they messing with the one thing that wasnt broken? Do they not listen to me because im nice?

Please - anyone else have this problem or any suggestions? Thanks so much!
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on May. 8, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Hugs mama I haven't had to deal with this bump for other mamas
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sid1083
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:08 AM
No experience here. Hoping for the best for you though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stacwa
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:11 AM
Thanks! I hope someone knows something. :) At the very least it felt so good to just let it out.
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on May. 8, 2012 at 7:37 AM
*hugs* sounds like you need a new GAL and lawyer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a-SiZZLe
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Have you all tried mediation with attorneys present ? I have never had a GAL so I am not much help there

wigglesmomma22
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM

what is a GAL?  Can't you tell the "GAL" to stfu and get a new one??  SOrry, I don't know how this works..

Stacwa
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Hahahahaaaaaaa! That made my day! A GAL is a guardian ad litem - a lawyer for our son eho looks out for the best interest of our child. Except all he does is talk over me and patronize me. Id love to tell him to stfu. Lmao.
DDDaysh
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm concerned that you feel like your lawyer is not working for you.  I feel like you need to confront your lawyer on that fact. 

Also, if you feel like the GAL is not properly doing his job, then you need to report that to the overseeing agency.  Be very specific about things he has done that you find are unprofessional.   

Don't let them walk over you. 

bamababe1975
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I agree with this. ((HUGS)) and good luck to you!

Quoting DDDaysh:

I'm concerned that you feel like your lawyer is not working for you.  I feel like you need to confront your lawyer on that fact. 

Also, if you feel like the GAL is not properly doing his job, then you need to report that to the overseeing agency.  Be very specific about things he has done that you find are unprofessional.   

Don't let them walk over you. 

Love Giving Advice? Join Our Advice Squad!

faerie75
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:42 PM

if a GAL is involved, you arent in control. i cant say enough bad about GAL's. my SO was a fahter who got the shaft from a biased GAL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)