Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

80 dollars a month in child support!! Really?

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM
  • 41 Replies

I divorced last year and have a 5 year old kindergarten daughter. I just finished court for custody since dad decided to move 2 hours away and wanted her full time. I have custody during the school year and he gets every other weekend and then he gets her mid June through August for the summer and i get every other weekend. Since and even before our divorce I have paid for everything. I take care of my daughter. I pay 65 a week for daycare, i buy all her school supplies and clothes. Since the divorce he has bought one pair of shoes and one pair of jeans. Since he quit his job and moved away i had to get medicaid for insurance because it so expensive at my job. I make about 360.00 a week. She had a hospital bill i asked for help with and got nothing.  Anyways point being i just got the numbers back from my lawyer and I'm upset. 80 dollars a moth doesn't even cover half her daycare let alone anything else. she said its based off of the time we get her each and his income now that he is working. I don't understand how its fair that he is supporting his new wife who doesn't work and HER 4 kids but 80 dollars a month is suppose to support his child. I'm not trying to be greedy by any means, but i guess i expected a little more. My lawyer has made me feel like this the only option this or nothing and well I'd rather get this than nothing since i haven't gotten anything. I'm just disappointed. What are your thoughts on this, what do you get? under what circumstances. .. this is a first for me and it just doesn't make sense. am i being greedy?

Okay so the child support is being based off of what i pay in child care, what he and I make and how many days we "share" her.. Like she's a toy wtf...

As far as his new wife she and her children none of that is factored in, I'm just complaining because i know she doesn't work and he is supporting 4 other children that aren't his, and its aggravating.  Just thought I'd clairify.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chanel5nyc
by Shanell on May. 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Well if the judge said it's $80, there is nothing you can do. It's based off his income. You might think he takes care of his new wife, but he doesn't make much. You make more than him.
Tea4Tas
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Ask for half of the daycare expenses and child support.

Chanel5nyc
by Shanell on May. 8, 2012 at 10:49 AM
In most states it's included in child support.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Tea4Tas
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Quoting Chanel5nyc:

In most states it's included in child support.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Not always and it never hurts to ask.

StephMarie_Mom
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Not to sound rude or crass.... but you should glad you even recieve anything. My daughter is 4 yrs old and we dont get a penny at this time. And on top of that i've got 69 dollars and some change until the end of the month.

Like another poster said, if you want to have you child support amended to include the child care expenses (if it's not already included), just ask your lawyer for an amendment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyliesmommy7
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Thats crazy my bd i suppose to pay the least amount the state allows and he pays 57 a week and he pays 42 a week to me and the rest for medical and i thought this was rediculous it doesnt cover much
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
die4u
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM

No the judge didnt say anthing this is between our layers and based of some sliding scale. and i know he makes more than i do... He works for a temp aggency but its for a plant, i'm a secretary at a moving company.

Quoting Chanel5nyc:

Well if the judge said it's $80, there is nothing you can do. It's based off his income. You might think he takes care of his new wife, but he doesn't make much. You make more than him.

caddital
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:02 AM

When my ex and I started the whole child support thing they based it off is income which was nothing so they based it off minimum wage. But then they also based it off my income as well. So that he could make up the difference of stuff that I couldn't. I don't think that the whole child cupport crap makes sense their are so many loop holes and stupid rules taht have to be followed that help benifit the parent that is supposed to be paying, and they make it really difficult on the parent that is actually supporting the children. And no I don't think that you are being greedy

die4u

I havnt gotten anything from him... i'm still waiting. I know how you feel about money being tight, with bills and rent i'm usually down to a couple dollars my self. I know it wasnt long ago i had only 10 dollars left in my account and had  a week to wait for payday. It sucks i stick it out and dont normally complain but i feel like i keep getting jipped... 20 dollars a week really? child care is already added.

Quoting StephMarie_Mom:

Not to sound rude or crass.... but you should glad you even recieve anything. My daughter is 4 yrs old and we dont get a penny at this time. And on top of that i've got 69 dollars and some change until the end of the month.

Like another poster said, if you want to have you child support amended to include the child care expenses (if it's not already included), just ask your lawyer for an amendment.

LexRi0709
1 mom liked this
Honestly be happy you are getting that. Dd1 is 5. Bd is ordered to pay $408 a month. I haven't gotten anything in over 2yrs. He owes me over $10,000. He refuses to work. He lives in his parents second home and they pay for everything, excluding his child support. Dd is always taking clothes I never get back. He gives her fudge bars and oatmeal creme pies for breakfast. He's a pos dad, but I don't have enough against him to take him to court.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)