Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Getting Public Assistance.

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:39 PM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

Ok so this is my little rant..... Apparently I am a HORRIBLE mother according to some on this site because I am a single mother of a child with special needs. This prevents me from finishing school and working. I have no one available to assist in caring for my child while I am doing the "things" i need too. I get county assistance like Food and Cash but, I have no choice in the matter because of his disability prevents him from attending childcare. Does this make me a bad mom? I plan on finishing school as soon as my Dr. approves him to go back to child care and when my new child arrives. My new child can't be on assitance for the fact that I am with my future child's father and we will be living together. I would rather not live on assistance but, really 50.00 a month from my ex to support my child is enough? I'd rather live off assistance then be homeless. Sorry if I offend any single mom/s if she doesn't get assistance but, my Dr. has told me my son is not ready to go back to child care. Am I being selfish? I don't feel that I am for the fact that in about 2 years my Bakery will be up and running and I will be gladly pay 2x as much just so I feel better about it. I hate living off assistance I do but, my child comes first. Anyone else agree? If you disagree do me a favor and don't respond!!

by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QJsmommy
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:42 PM
No I'm a pregnant single mom and I just started getting assistance. I mean yea some people don't deserve it and live off of it forever, those to me are bad moms. Not someone who is trying there best but needs that little extra!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElyseFowler
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:46 PM

thanks i truly appreciate that it just infurirates me about how the bash the situation

sweetspice03
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Not selfish at all. You're doing what you need to do for now, and you have a very valid reason for receiving assistance. I, too, am receiving it while I get through school. It's hard, but like you said, better than being on the streets.

Is there a daycare in your area for special needs kids? Might be something to look into.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mammabear81
by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:59 PM

not selfish at all.  My mother had to YELL at me to get assistance when I left my ex.  I have 3 kids and he pays 500/mo and complains about it!  he was working a job that paid over 120k/yr!!!!  he quit it so he didn't have to pay and so he could pretend he was being a good dad!  pos...anyways, there is a huge difference between NEEDING help and LIVING off of it! 

ms-superwoman
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:03 PM
No! You obviously need the help. You do what you have to for your children. Don't listen to the ignorance of others! If they where in your shoes, I am sure they would change their tune.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Hi and welcome to the group.

ElyseFowler
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 4:42 PM
He was at a facility but didn't work out
happymommy1105
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 5:15 PM
If you need help, you need help.

I'm going to have to go get help soon if business doesn't pick up.

I am sick and preggo and dealing with my sons special needs and running business and going to school. Am I selfish too? No, I don't think so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamasaurusPrime
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I was on welfare for 2 years. I made the mistake of admitting it in another group when I first joined here. They called me everything from a lazy bitch, to a money hungry bitter mom, and said "that's what child support is for". Apparently welfare is for people who have actually worked more than 6 months in their lives. LOL

Ngi ne themba - I have hope.

Jessibear2010
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:29 PM

No, you're in now way a horrible mother.  You are actually an amazing mother, careing for a child with any type of special needs isn't easy especially when daycares and insurance agencys deny you.  Those saying you are horrible need to get off their high horse acting like their better then everyone who's not as well off as them.  Your not selfish, horrible, bad or wrong.  Don't let them get to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN