Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Section 8

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:16 AM
  • 50 Replies

I applied for Section 8 at the end of Decemeber 2009. I recieved a letter next week and I have my formal application and meeting on the 22nd. I am beyond excited!

Right now it is my two girls, my son, and I in one room with my parents in the other. I am greatful for my parents letting us move in, but it is way too crowded. Not to mention that my dad and I get into it all the time. The night before I got the letter I was outside at night. I saw a shooting star so I embraced my childhood and made a wish to hear something from the Housing Authority(I had also applied for Public Housing a few months ago.) I know it is all a coincidence, but I'm saying sometimes wishes do come true. lol

Anyways, does anyone know what happens at the Formal Application and meeting? Do I get approved that day? Today I am dropping off my kids at daycare and applying at jobs. I will need to be able to afford all the bills and internet. Sadly, internet is a must for my schooling.

by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Blessed_Mommy87
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Congrats and Good Luck!!!  

MicahBoo07
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I live in Indiana and when I got my interview they declined me saying because I never rented before they didn't approve me for section 8. I applied to a based off ur income apartment place last April and this past feb they called me saying they had an opening for me and I just had to go in and update my application and I got into the place the same day. Now I pay under a $100 a month for a 3 bedroom apartment.

I hope u get approved and get a place of ur own.

Chanel5nyc
by Shanell on May. 16, 2012 at 9:27 AM
You probably will not get approve that day. They just want to see if your circumstances are the same. They might give a second interview.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steviechick
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I've never lived in Section 8 housing, so I can't help you with your question.  However, congrats on being able to get housing for you and your children.

rebmarie90
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I am gunna be bad and piggy back  off of your question, can you buy houses with section 8? my grandma keeps telling me that you can but I don't know. 

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on May. 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rec104
by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Good luck !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kittiecat88
by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:16 PM

HOW EXCITING! I have been on section 8 for two years. Where I live if you get a letter that usually means you are approved if you still meet the requirments (like having a low enough income, stuff like that) i hope everything goes well! I'm so happy for you!

kittiecat88
by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I don't think so. At least where I live you can't. It's a voucher used to pay rent. You could rent a house though. They give you a set amount that they will pay every month for example my voucher is for 750 a month so I can either live in a place that is 750 a month and owe no extra, or you can get a higher priced place and pay the difference. I suppose if you rented a house you could possibly work out a rent to own kinda thing. But idk facts.. thats just a thought!

Quoting rebmarie90:

I am gunna be bad and piggy back  off of your question, can you buy houses with section 8? my grandma keeps telling me that you can but I don't know. 

CafeMom Tickers
kittiecat88
by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:20 PM

omg.. bc you have never rented before??? how mean! maybe you WOULD have rented before if u could afford a place, right!? Thats why u applied for section 8! lol how stupid. But thats great that u found a income based place!

Quoting MicahBoo07:

I live in Indiana and when I got my interview they declined me saying because I never rented before they didn't approve me for section 8. I applied to a based off ur income apartment place last April and this past feb they called me saying they had an opening for me and I just had to go in and update my application and I got into the place the same day. Now I pay under a $100 a month for a 3 bedroom apartment.

I hope u get approved and get a place of ur own.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN