Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

do you ever feel guilty...

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 3:03 PM
  • 16 Replies

when you do something for yourself and ONLY yourself..no kids involved.I'm separated from my husband and we live 6hrs apart so he sees our son rarely..and plus he makes no real effort to be around so I've given up on the idea of that perfect white picket fence family..with the stress of all that I feel sad of course and I need time for myself but I always feel so guilty for even thinking that way because in my mind for some reason I think I need to put twice the effort into loving my son to make up for what his dad lacks..does that make sense? So between working and being a single parent I rarely ever take time for myself but when I do or think about it I feel wrong for doing so..is this normal..anyone else feel this way?and I have guy friends who are ONLY friends but ask me out but I always come up with an excuse as to why I cant go because I'd feel like less of a mom if I left my son to go out with a man..even worse a man who is NOT my son's father..will these feelings ever pass?

by on May. 23, 2012 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
animebuddy
by on May. 23, 2012 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this
No I don't ever feel guilty for going out with friends or on dates. Everyone needs me time and just because you're a mom doesn't mean that's all you are. So go out and enjoy yourself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RNickles
by on May. 23, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Girl, sometimes you need time for yourself. And that isonly natural. Your son knows you love him, and he deserves a father figure to be around, so in order for that to happen you have to go out and meet new guys to find a great father figure for your son. Not every night of coarse, but every now and then definetly. Dont feel guilty..

ICPclwnLOV
by on May. 23, 2012 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope
Happy mommy=happy kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MOMmyofAngels08
by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I think it is important to go out and have time to yourself. As long as your kids are taken care of and you are leaving them with someone responsible then hell yeah have a great time. We single mothers go through alot! We deserve to have fun!

gregory2
by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Its very important for you to take time for yourself! I have been split going on 4 years in Sept. I rarely get a night out, and I'm 25! I have three babies, and my family is very willing to watch them while I work. However, when it comes to leisure they want their "me" time too. Therefore, I don't get much. Even when I do, like you, I feel SOOOO guilty that I ditched them... Not that I really "ditched" them, but that's how I feel. In June I'm going on a bachelorette get a way wkend out of state. My kids will be with my family from Thurs to Mon. I already fell horrible and I haven't even left yet! I've been trying to suggest fun things for them to get to go do, bc I feel bad that I will be having a blast and them stuck between my sisters and my mom. (Which they LOOOVVVEE them to pieces... still feeel guilty though!)

Singlemominit
by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Youre still a grown human woman hun, dont ever feel bad for wanting some you time

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
katemarie97
by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:38 PM
Thanks ladies.I know what yall are saying is true.and its very true that I'll never meet anyone if I dont leave the house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
faerie75
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM
Nope I look forward to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
faerie75
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2012 at 4:54 PM
Lol I felt ZERO guilt to my kids about dating either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katemarie97
by on May. 23, 2012 at 5:39 PM
That's great.I wanna get to that point.even though I'm only 21 I'm pretty old fashioned about marriage and such..I've had a hard time accepting that another man may very well end up raising my son..I'm not bashing anyone for bringing a step dad into their kid's life its just not how I saw my son being raised..plus I feel that way too many people take marriage as a joke and its not at all..its a promise you nake to yourself,your spouse, & God and it should be taken seriously.so even just divorcing has been rough for me on many levels.I hope I can get through it..I know times have changed but that's whats wrong with the world today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)