Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Quit or get fired.Advice please?? (kinda long)

Posted by   + Show Post

So I've been at my job for a month now and last night was my 3rd time being called into the manager's office. The 1st time I went to the manager's office because I wasn't feeling well and wanted to see if I could leave early. The store manager told me that if I could stick it out til the morning that would be great. She also said that she felt like I didn't appreciate my job and that I didn't like being there although she has only met me twice. She was the one who hired me and then I saw her that night.She said when she hired me, she felt like I wasn't the right candidate for the job. I was shocked but sucked it up and went back to work.

The 2nd time was when the support manager called me to the office about zoning (making sure everything is pulled to the front of the shelves and looks presentable), and not covering other people's breaks (it was an honest mistake). He also said that he felt like I didn't want to be there and that I was dragging my feet getting work done when in my eyes I felt like I was doing okay.

The 3rd time was last night. The assistant manager called me to the office and asked me to rate my productivity. I told her I felt like I was doing fine. She told me that after being there for a month she expected me to know how to sort the returns baskets properly and get all other work done in a timely manner.

Last night was busy, with about 10-12 customers per line and there were only 3 cashiers, one who was not on the registers so in between trying to run register and getting returns done, I ran a little behind.

She told me that she was putting me on notice and that if I didn't improve within the next month, I would be terminated. I am trying my hardest at this job and yet all it seems like is I get criticized. Speeding up yes I can do that but the main concern everyone is talking to me is about my attitude towards the work.

They all say that I act like I don't want to be there or get the work done. When given an assignment, I start on it and get it done. They say I show no enthusiasm about my work. I didn't know I was supposed to jump up and down. I don't understand how I can show that I am happy about getting work to do I guess. I'm confused, frustrated and mad. Advice please?? Thanks ladies.

by on May. 27, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Replies (31-38):
SLOmommy
by on May. 27, 2012 at 10:31 PM
This! I've had a lot of jobs and to be quite honest, I come off as a bitch. I don't mean to, it's just my body language. It's taken me a long time to learn what I was doing and how to change it.
Eye contact, smiling and keep yourself busy. If you're not sure what to do next, ask for work. If they give you tasks, do them quickly and come back to ask how you did and if there is anything else to be done.
Also, start looking for a new job but meanwhile, put on that fake "I totally love this job" face (which is ridiculous as not many people like their job lol)
Good luck!!

Quoting michiganmom5150:

Don't cross your arms or stand with you hands on your hips. I'm always freezing and cross my arms. This caused huge issues with my old boss. Said I had negative body language...not approachable. Also, just try to be super friendly, straighten stuff when not busy, that's all you can do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SexyDiva19
by Alexis on May. 28, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Nope. I'll have to look up the rules for NC but I didn't get this job til the end of April of this year

Quoting LeeLee375:

Every state is different. But it makes no difference how long you've been at that job in particular. I mean, it matters to the state as to which is the chargeable employer, but it doesn't matter for u. As long as you've been working somewhere during the base period. Like right now in KY, if u open up a brand new unemployment claim, it's based off the wages u earned Jan 1-Dec 31, 2011. We work on a lag quarter. Some states don't, meaning they'd now be looking at April 1, 2011-end of march this year. Did u work at all during that time?

Quoting SexyDiva19:

I thought you had to be working for at least 6 months to collect unemployment. I've only been there for a month and 3 days

Quoting LeeLee375:

Get fired. Without a doubt. I work for the state unemployment office. If u get fired then u stand a much better chance of getting your unemployment. Try your best to meet whatever expectations they set and if u can't, u can't. Document everything positive that you do as far as like asking them how you can improve, etc. Unless they give u an improvement plan and go to great lengths to help u meet it, u probably can at least get to draw unemployment until u can find something else. With this tough economy, That may take a while.

_megmeg_
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:47 AM
2 years for me. Worst place I've ever worked... and I honestly don't know how I managed to make it as long as I did!

Quoting stormystar15:

I know what you mean. i worked over night to as a stocker though not a cashier. the main thing that made it a crappy place for me to work is their lack of communication with each other and with the employees.

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Well I've only been there for a month and I wouldn't say it was a crappy place to work for. It's just confusing I guess. I work overnight and one manager says one thing and then another manager says another thing and you're supposed to listen to them both.

Quoting stormystar15:

Ive worked there for 9 months. its how all walmarts are. if i were you i would start job searching and once you find another job quit walmart. walmart (in my experience) is they crappiest place to work.

Quoting SexyDiva19:

lol yes. How did you guess?

Quoting stormystar15:

Do you by any chance work for walmart?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommynac
by on May. 28, 2012 at 5:00 AM

You might be able to collect based on a previous position. I would definitely check.

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Nope. I'll have to look up the rules for NC but I didn't get this job til the end of April of this year

Quoting LeeLee375:

Every state is different. But it makes no difference how long you've been at that job in particular. I mean, it matters to the state as to which is the chargeable employer, but it doesn't matter for u. As long as you've been working somewhere during the base period. Like right now in KY, if u open up a brand new unemployment claim, it's based off the wages u earned Jan 1-Dec 31, 2011. We work on a lag quarter. Some states don't, meaning they'd now be looking at April 1, 2011-end of march this year. Did u work at all during that time?

Quoting SexyDiva19:

I thought you had to be working for at least 6 months to collect unemployment. I've only been there for a month and 3 days

Quoting LeeLee375:

Get fired. Without a doubt. I work for the state unemployment office. If u get fired then u stand a much better chance of getting your unemployment. Try your best to meet whatever expectations they set and if u can't, u can't. Document everything positive that you do as far as like asking them how you can improve, etc. Unless they give u an improvement plan and go to great lengths to help u meet it, u probably can at least get to draw unemployment until u can find something else. With this tough economy, That may take a while.

pmcs
by on May. 28, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Been there. Look for another job and hope you get one quickly.

pmcs
by on May. 28, 2012 at 10:47 AM

By the way, if you do get fired, apply for unemployment. People say you can't get unemployment if you're fired but that isn't necessarily true.

Kenre
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Start looking for a new job. I would also become a smart arse. Jump up and down and cheer when given a task. Start humming while working and smile the whole time. Be sickening sweet. LOL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SexyDiva19
by Alexis on May. 29, 2012 at 7:13 AM

lol yea thanks for the advice but I don't think that would work so well either. I'll figure something out hopefully

Quoting Kenre:

Start looking for a new job. I would also become a smart arse. Jump up and down and cheer when given a task. Start humming while working and smile the whole time. Be sickening sweet. LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN