Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

child support modification

Posted by on May. 30, 2012 at 1:48 AM
  • 35 Replies
So my ex is wanting his.child.support modified. This came to me out of nowhere. I mean he's like any other man who pays he's always notching about how much he.pays ..he pays 632 for 2 kids but he makes 38,000 a year whilst I make 7000. I have my boys at last hearing 80% of time . I think my ex thinks that my boyfriends income will count as my income. does this happen? I am not married to him he does stay with me a few days out of the week..and we are in a relationship but can this affect the child support? My ex on the other hand has also for the most part stopped seeing my oldest son and only sees my youngest son an average of 5-6 days per month.
Any input would be nice. I just dropped my paperwork off today guess I will just have to wait and see what happens...
by on May. 30, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on May. 30, 2012 at 8:24 AM
Child support has nothing to do with your income if he is paying it to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cadeesmommy0120
by on May. 30, 2012 at 8:30 AM

This.  I make $4 an hour more than my ex and that had no influence on what he pays.  It's like 17% or something like that.

Quoting Mommyto2LilMen:

c_edmonds
by New Member on May. 30, 2012 at 8:51 AM

If his income has dropped, he has gotten laid off, or anything major has changed and yes I mean even an extra child can change child support (and the baby has to be his (DNA)unless he is married) and he can PROVE IT then yes the modification will go thru.

But you really should've asked the local child support agency in your area before you sent off those papers. But you can always ask them now just to be on the safe side and ask them what you might be up against.

And in some states they do account for both parents income. I know they did with mine. I make half of his income. We both had to bring proof of income, insurance, and etc.

So whatever happened in the first court case you had be prepared for that plus come with a more knowledge from your Cafemom sisters.

GL!!!!!!!!!

LifeCafe42
by Nora on May. 30, 2012 at 9:32 AM
I pay that in child care and it's a big chunk I make more then him maybe he's just taking a chance to see if they will.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas
by on May. 30, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Quoting Mommyto2LilMen:

Of course it does-most states factor in the Mothers income.  What state do you live in that doesn't?

Jeni1124
by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Every state is different, but no state will include your boyfriend's income. He's not legally responsible for your children in any way.

Here in VA there is a form that the courts can use to determine child support. See if your state has one.

mrene88
by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Texas doesn't! They only look at the father's.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting Mommyto2LilMen:

Of course it does-most states factor in the Mothers income.  What state do you live in that doesn't?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas
by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Quoting mrene88:

Texas doesn't! They only look at the father's.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting Mommyto2LilMen:

According oto the Texas state website, they require information about BOTH parents income

If available, child support applicants should submit copies of the following:

• the divorce decree, separation agreement or court order for child support;
    • the acknowledgment of paternity, if one has been signed;
    • the birth certificate(s) of the child(ren) involved;
    • all documents that may reflect both parents' incomes and assets (paycheck stubs, tax returns, bank statements, etc.) and
    • evidence of child support payment history.

paulierox
by on May. 30, 2012 at 11:47 AM

here in california they go by the guideline calculator. when i spoke with child support office they said for me to fill out forms attach my stubs and fill out visitation papers ( smart me i have been documenting last 10 months of his visitations) .. they woould calculate if there needs to be modification. time visiting with the children will affect child support if it is now less than it was before. if it changes by 50 bucks in either way we get to go to court.  That is where i think my ex will try and bring up my boyfriend and the money that he makes,and try saying i am in a two income household and the ex is not....i think this all came now because my boyfriend bought a new truck and i have been driving it...our child support order currently is not even a year old...

faerie75
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2012 at 12:57 PM
No even if you married your bf or lived w him it wouldn't matter. He does t even REALLY live w you. He will probably end up getting a cost of living increase, what a sucker.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN