Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Child Support Help

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:31 PM
  • 12 Replies

Recently single mother I'm 21 I have a 9 month old. Need advice and direction on how to go about collecting child support and also filing. Dont have a clue on even how to start my search.

by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Call the courthouse. They will tell you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gina_C
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this
You can start with the attorney generals office in your state. I'm from Texas, and they have a website and I was actually able to fill out most everything online ad then they sent a few forms I had to sign and I just mailed them back. So I would start there and see if there is a website. If there isn't one, then I would google to see where the closest local office is for you to go in. The attorney generals office is who handles child support. Hope this helps :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsGrayciesMommy
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Your state .gov website will have all the info, and numbers to call. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Skye21210
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Do a google search to find  the local child support enforcement agency in your city. When you contact them tell them you want to pursue child support from the non-custodial parent. You might get a application in the mail to fill out and return and/ or you will get a appointment. on the application or at the appointment they will want as much info about the father as possible (address, phone number, job, etc...).

After this they might try to locate him to serve him court papers to appear in court but idk it depends on your city and the process they take. From my experience in Chicago he was served papers to appear in court at his home, We then had to go to court 3-4 times. Since my childs fathers name wasnt on the birth certificate, we did paternity tests ( only because he denied our child). After the results came he was told how much he will have to pay, talk about visitaion rights, etc...

lovethelake
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:45 PM

yes call tehc ourt first. It can all be done free without an atorney!

andyroosmama
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:13 PM

You can check the Attorney General's office, the courts, or you can call 211 and they can direct you to where you need to go.

Robsessed98
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Welcome to the group. You've already gotten some good advice so I won't repeat it.

bamababe1975
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Welcome to the group! Take the advice given here - these ladies are smart. Good luck!! :)

mommaJewels2011
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM
I googled "Child support enforcement IN oregon" it had everything there. I printed a application and dropped it at the nearest office. (It was in a mall which I thought was weird lol.) The process was way easier than I expected.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jeni1124
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 11:21 PM

In my county I went to the juvenile intake office and set up an appointment to file the paperwork. From there we were served a court date.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN