Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

almost 4 yr old and a bottle for his milk

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:52 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi I am just wondering does anyone else still use a bottle at home, My son is attached to his for his milk but only has it at home and has for a long time. He is stubborn, has a temper at times and it just seems the easy thing to do for me since I am the only one at home to take care of him and his tantrums. I know this is lazy of me but I just can't find the right time or way to toss it and and deal with the repercussions, Any suggestions, I would like to have this totally over by the next 2 mos because I know he is too old for a bottle and it is only an easy way to deal with being at home and him wanting his milk in a bottle.

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
pce68
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell him he's a big boy now and big boys don't use bottles. Get him a special new cup, maybe one with a straw and a favorite character on it, and tell him he can now use his special big boy cup for his milk. He might take to it right away, or there may be tantrums  but if he does fight it, hold strong and he will probably give up in a day or two. Just keep praising him when he uses the cup and tell him what a big boy he is.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Ds threw his own bottles away when he was a year old. Let him pick a special cup mine loves the cup that has a straw for the handle it'll be tough for a few days but take a deep breath and get some ear plug lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I agree, tell him big boys don't use bottles.  Let him pick out some cups that he likes.  Just throw them away.... yes, he'll probably cry, but you have to get him off of it. 

Chelsey191
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Cut the top off and tell him its broken. Or book a week off and just cut it cold turkey, be prepared for hissy fits etc. Just tell him no he is a big boy and if he has a tantrum put him in his room and tell him he can come out when he is done.

StephMarie_Mom
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:30 AM
I agree with the previous comments. Tell hhim he's a big boy and only babies use bottles. I also suggest tossing all of them in the trash when he's sleeping, but don't do that without a back up plan such as the special cup. If he has a tantrum, let him. Just send him to another room until he either stops or tires himself out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alisha_89
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this

just buy a sippy cup and throw the bottles away..tell him if he don't drink out of it then he don't drink anything.

tyfry7496
by Janet on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Just throw out ALL the bottles. He needs to go cold turkey. No child over 2 should have a bottle. Get him a special cup and don't back down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cadeesmommy0120
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Let him pick out a new cup and let him help throw them away.  I had a hard time getting rid of the pacifier.  But one night I just took it away cold turkey...she cried a couple nights but got over it.  The older he gets the harder it's going to be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)