Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Mommas with older boys that are potty trained. I have a question! :)

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM
  • 7 Replies

My son just turned 3. I brought him son big boy underwear about 2 weeks ago. I would say he's 60% potty trained. I let him walk around the house naked from the waist down and he goes in the potty every time he has to go. That part isnt a probelm at all. He has been wearing pullups when we go out, or goes to preschool. I'm ready to switch him from pullup to underwear, but he doesn't seem to be at all. :/ He FREAKS when I put them on him. He cries, throws himself on the floor, pulls them off with seconds of me fighting to get them on. He begs for pullups. I tried to let him pick some out at walmart, but he started crying saying,"he cant wear them." I'm not sure what to do, or how to handle this. I dont really was to force him to wear them, but it seems that will be the only way. I would love some tips or advice on how to go about this. To get him comfortable wearing them. Thank you ladies!!!

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:27 AM
I dunno.

Do you make him wear them the right way?

My son liked to wear his backwards so he could see the super hero. Try that?

Also try buying a asize bigger than you think he needs. My son seems to like the extra space. Like if he wears a 3t in clothes buy at least a 4t in undies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cdjd23
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Have him wear the underwear at home so he can get used to them, by setting a foundation at home it will begin to translate when you go out in public. My ds was completely potty trained by 3 and he was never allowed to run around naked. A big thing that worked for me was telling my ds that diapers and pull-ups are for babies and underwear is for big boys.

Did he pick out the underwear himself? My ds loved being able to choose from the different characters.

Robsessed98
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I have no clue, but the pps suggestions might help.

andyroosmama
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 4:56 PM

this... plus, have you tried putting the potty chair in the living room with the tv? My oldest was like that... had to potty in front of the tv... also, I had mine on the potty 1st thing in the morning, and let them nap in their underwear, but only pull ups at night... Happymommy is right about the sizing... try buying a larger size, most biys find it uncomfortable to have their undies too tight.

Quoting happymommy1105:

I dunno.

Do you make him wear them the right way?

My son liked to wear his backwards so he could see the super hero. Try that?

Also try buying a asize bigger than you think he needs. My son seems to like the extra space. Like if he wears a 3t in clothes buy at least a 4t in undies.

tyfry7496
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:47 PM
No idea. Good luck though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:18 AM
I had the struggle with ds I won't buy him pull ups he wears chonies and at nap and bed a diaper it took a fee days but he got used to it. If you don't have them around he can't use them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I had the opposite happen. My son hated pull ups and went straight to underwear. There are some underwear that are a little padded like fruit of the loom or something I saw at target. I got those for my son back when he was potty training and he didn't like them cuz they were plain white but maybe your son will like the padding? It might be worth a shot. Maybe get some fabric pens and decorate them LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN