Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How did you get through it?

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:33 PM
  • 8 Replies

I am a very recently single mom.... DXH and I decided it was for the best if we broke things off while we were still on good terms.. I told DXH to keep DD (21 months old) until I had a permanent place to stay... I left and went back to my hometown (4 hrs away) to get my old job back and that way I can at least hop between family's houses until I can get settled.

I was a SAHM and I never spent more than a few hours away from DD... tonight is my second night without her and I'm completely torn apart! I videochatted with her earlier and it just made things worse on my heart.. idk how to deal with being away from her, she's my world! Please help ladies

by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
abbymommy915
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:41 PM

BUMP!

crzctl8de
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM

I wouldn't leave her with him for long unless you two have a  legal written document and that still get iffy.  I've seen too many girls go through this, things got nasty, and the mom loses custody.  If you have no problem with him being the full time parent and you the visitation parent, it's fine.  If not, you will need to get her.  Your choice. 

abbymommy915
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:48 PM

We drew up a paper saying that he keeps her until I have a permanent residence with me visiting as often as possible and afterwards we get her 2 weeks at a time and went to a notary just in case... we each got a copy that way if we have to go to court soon, we each have proof of some sort of agreement

Quoting crzctl8de:

I wouldn't leave her with him for long unless you two have a  legal written document and that still get iffy.  I've seen too many girls go through this, things got nasty, and the mom loses custody.  If you have no problem with him being the full time parent and you the visitation parent, it's fine.  If not, you will need to get her.  Your choice. 

crzctl8de
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Just be very very careful.  I've seen this turn bad, but I really hope it doesn't.  As to getting though it, one day at a time.  

abbymommy915
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM

it's very hard... the only thing that keeps me on my feet is knowing that it was for the better and the faster I get my shit together, the faster I get to be with her

Quoting crzctl8de:

Just be very very careful.  I've seen this turn bad, but I really hope it doesn't.  As to getting though it, one day at a time.  

brieri
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this

It will get easier as time goes by.  At least you get to chat with her.  Keep yourself busy and do the things you love to do.

graciefreesoul
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this

yeah...i was away from my daughter 3 weeks when she was 6mos...since then (she's now 13yo) she's been away a couple weeks to a whole summer and a couple years ago she was with my mom a year...doesn't really get easier unfortunately...but i can say frequent phone calls help lol fortunately for you/now, technology makes it better b/c i know most moms fear the child will forget what they look like...

MamaC0309
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this
My mom said it best, "and this too shall pass." As you can see as u get through one phase I can almost guarantee u another one is right after. I asked my best friend how she makes it as a single mom now that I've joined the club and she told me, "prayer". Ask for strength and keep it moving bc baby it could be a lot worse. You can do it. Find others to lean on :).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)