Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have a contract?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son's biological father and I have agreed to parenting time arrangements over the phone. Am I being weird about typing it out, having him read it and sign it?

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:56 AM
Replies (11-20):
lindilouwho82
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:08 PM

The best and most efficient way to handle custody/visitation schedules is to file with the courts. I know that most women and men for that matter believe that if they are on "good terms" then there is no reason to bring the courts into their business. And for a lot of couples it works and they never have to file a single document with their local family court office and I applaud those couples. Unfortunately more often than not situations change, emotions get in the way and the old "well we texted and e-mailed about the visitation schedule" no longer works. And when that happens the law cannot intervene if the father takes the child and refuses to give him/her back, if the mother refuses to not let the father see the child, if the non-custodial parents refuses to pay support and those are just common unexpected circumstances. Having a notarized letter is not going to give the cops permission to hunt down your ex if he bails out of town with your child, it also not going to protect if he is in and out of the child's life and not being a consistent healthy support.

I would go to the courts, fill out the paperwork, file the petition and from there it's relatively basic procedures. The courts will set up dates for mediation, child support hearing and it gives you and him piece of mine that everything is documented, signed by a judge and on record.

tyfry7496
by Janet on Jun. 28, 2012 at 6:33 PM
I would until you can get to court and have it made official.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mueller_amanda
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM

In my opinion it never works when its a contract just between you to. I would get a judge to sign off on it so theres no confusion. Cuss honestly either one of you can break it at any time without the judge.

Venae
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Wow - license suspended for life, restraining order against him for threatening you - yet you're sending your baby to him.  How are you going to take the baby to him when he can't get near you due to the restraining order?  

And, from your previous post, there's some new broad having his 8th baby and you were complaining about not getting child support.  

This guy sounds like a real winner - congratulations.

Traceyssel
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Quoting Venae:

Wow - license suspended for life, restraining order against him for threatening you - yet you're sending your baby to him.  How are you going to take the baby to him when he can't get near you due to the restraining order?  

And, from your previous post, there's some new broad having his 8th baby and you were complaining about not getting child support.  

This guy sounds like a real winner - congratulations.

The restraining order is to prevent harassment, molestation, and disturbance of peace. Judge didnt say he had to be so far away from me. I was court ordered to do visitation.

You're a winner. Great job at life.

Mia1983
by Mia on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Sounds like a good idea for the time being. You can try your bank or look up notary public for your area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shaybay218
by Shayla on Jun. 28, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Not at all Notarize it...

animebuddy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 4:58 AM

I think its amrt, but it probably would be better to do this agreement in court.

Notary Publics can also be found at real estate offices or tax places.

Cpdsptchgrl
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 5:12 AM
That actually would not be a legally binding agreement. At least in mt state. You would be better off with an official order.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cpdsptchgrl
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 5:14 AM
In my state it isn't legal even with being notarized. The only legally binding custody/visitation agreement in this state is one signed by a judge. She needs to look into her states laws on this one.

Quoting steviechick:

I concur on the notarized document.  It isn't legal without that and getting a copy to the courts.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)