Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

What would you do with your child differently than your parents/parent did with you?

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 7:52 PM
  • 9 Replies

I have a few.

1. I would go into depths and really teach her about credit. My parents taught me NOTHING about credit. I would also like to get her credit rating going for her a little bit by the time she turns 18. Buy small things and pay them off so that she has some credit instead of none at all.

2. I am going to extreme depths to teach her about her period! This is what my mother told me "when you are about 13 you will start to bleed and it will stop when you are about 55".  I thought I was going to die a virgin because I would be bleeding my whole life! She taught me nothing!

3. When she has her heart broken at 13 or 15 I will not ignore it or treat it as "puppy love". I remember what it feels like to be that age and to have my heart broken. It was very real.

4. I am going to let her go to school functions, ballet, piano, gymnastics, whatever she wants to try. I will teach her to be comfortable in a social environment. I will build her confidance in herself. I was never allowed to do anything and was always stuck at home. I have social anxiety and it really sux!

What will you do differently?

by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
makena78
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I already am  as I have a 5 and 7 year old.

1. I won't baby them.  I will not make a sandwich for them if they can themselves. It's important to become self dependent at an early age. My mother kept me from living. I had to force them to let me get my drivers license at 20 and move out that week. I didn't know anything and am still learning because I was so dependent.

2. Teach them value on money. They don't get allowence but have to work for it even at home. I don't care if most moms say their kid shouldn't get paid to clean house. Well mine do and it is working well. And not waste money on small things but save for what they really need/want. There is no free money in my house.

3. Like you said, explain about our bodies. Get books, anything that will help. Those school videos don't teach a thing. And then explain about boys and how they work and what is on their mind when their older and why.

4. I will teach against teenage sex but won't freak if my 16 year old has sex. It's a big deal and needs to be paid attention to and yelling doesn't help. I will not forget that I had sex at 16 and I still don't regret it. I wish my mother prepared me more and didn't make me break up with my bf. He was a good guy.

5. I will not let my kids quit their activity after a few tries. I loved ballet as a kid but my friends wre mad that I danced too much and so I quit. My kids can't quit unless they HATE it. But, must always do some activity. From piano to sports. I don't care as long as it's productive.

6.I will sometimes need to admit I am not always right. i don't know everything as I haven't expeirenced everything out there. And my girls might have gone through something like what I went through but it may not be exactly the same. Sometimes my kids will be right about their choices and I will try to accept that.

Traceyssel
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM
Wow those are really good lessons
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookoholic
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I try not to yell, my parents did a lot of yelling at us kids.

candimalice
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I won't be as strict, my parents we overly strict and I ended up sneeking and lying to get around their rules.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephMarie_Mom
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm trying very hard to be patient and flexible. My mom wasn't always patient with me and I lack patience as well, so I'm trying real hard.

That's my biggest thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I try not to yell. I try to teach him to use his words as well.

I teach him the value of money, my parents never did.

I teach him to openly talk to me about things since I was never allowed to with my parents.

I want him to make mistakes, because I want to help him. My parents never let me fall down, so as an.adult I struggle with basic life lessons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I never spank for any reason, ever

I tell my son I love him all the time and I show him

I have patience

I don't degrade my son

I got him involved in any activity that he wanted to be in and I went to all events

I'm involved at school

I let him be who he is
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
viv212
by Vivian on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this
My mom rarely hugged us or said she loves us. I'm doing all that with my daughter. I will also teach sex education and not make it seem like it doesn't exist. I also will be ready to listen and answer questions about her dad. My mom would never let us talk about our dad or ask questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
My situation is different from my parents with me so I do things different. I do want my son to have a closer relationship with me. I've never been able to go to my parents about anything
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN