Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Embarrassed: Food Stamps and Medicaid

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM
  • 127 Replies

Okay, I was laid off and decided to get some education.  Was getting an unemployment check which was cut off once I got my degree (which was stupid of them).  Now, I'm getting NO money, only a little child support money from child's father which don't even put a dent in my situation.  I've been trying to find work in my field and no one would hire me!  Now I had to result to being humiliated to get some DAMN FOOD STAMPS AND MEDICAID!  All you hear people talk about how people on Food Stamps and Medicaid are lazy!!  Not to mention this small town I'm in, so they see your every move!  I'm sooooooooooooooo f'ckn embarrassed!   Goes back to the previous post: AM I BITTER?? HELL TO THE YEAH!!!

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Replies (1-10):
DDDaysh
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Well, have you tried looking for a job outside of your field? 

When DS's dad first bailed, I couldn't find anything in my field either, but I took jobs that paid next to nothing (seriously, the first one was actually below minimum wage if you counted all the hours I had to work for the daily wage) and worked up from there.  It barely covered daycare and I had to get WIC to be able to afford formula and medicaid so my son could see a doctor.  But, I kept the momentum up and was able to land a job that paid a little better with benefits, and just kept going from there. 

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:03 PM
I'm confused.

I don't understand how it was stupid of them to cut off your unemployment. You knew that was going to happen on graduation. You should have been prepared for that.

You need to find a job, maybe not a career but a job to stay afloat while you find a career.

I don't understand what you are bitter about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaJewels2011
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM
3 moms liked this
That is a hard situation. But everyone needs help at some point. Who cares what other people think, you're doing the best thing for you and your child. It's temporary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cpdsptchgrl
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
You need to start looking outside the box. Flip burgers if you have to until something better comes along. There are A LOT of people that are not working in their fields right now. Any job is better than no job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jkia1boy
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Quoting happymommy1105:

I'm confused.

I don't understand how it was stupid of them to cut off your unemployment. You knew that was going to happen on graduation. You should have been prepared for that.

You need to find a job, maybe not a career but a job to stay afloat while you find a career.

What are YOU confused about??  I didn't know that they were going to cut off my unemployment benefits that fast, I thought they were going to at least give me up to September.  See, this was not a regular unemployment plan, it was a program that Obama had passed.  They at least could have given me a month to get on my feet.  I have been searching for a job WHILE I was in school.  It's easy for people such as yourself to say something like this especially if you've never been in this situation and don't try to say you were because you weren't.  Only someone who hasn't been in this situation would say something so cold like this. Again, thanks but no thanks because you're trying to be sarcastic.  Have a great Day!

Cpdsptchgrl
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Wow! Where did you get your crystal ball? Seeing as how mine seems to be broken I would like to replace it.

Quoting Jkia1boy:

Quoting happymommy1105:

I'm confused.

What are YOU confused about??  I didn't know that they were going to cut off my unemployment benefits that fast, I thought they were going to at least give me up to September.  See, this was not a regular unemployment plan, it was a program that Obama had passed.  They at least could have given me a month to get on my feet.  I have been searching for a job WHILE I was in school.  It's easy for people such as yourself to say something like this especially if you've never been in this situation and don't try to say you were because you weren't.  Only someone who hasn't been in this situation would say something so cold like this. Again, thanks but no thanks because you're trying to be sarcastic.  Have a great Day!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jkia1boy
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Quoting Cpdsptchgrl:

You need to start looking outside the box. Flip burgers if you have to until something better comes along. There are A LOT of people that are not working in their fields right now. Any job is better than no job.

I don't know about flipping burgers because I've been there done that! TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THAT! However, I am willing to bend a little by doing secretarial work.  Thanks for responding! :)

Cpdsptchgrl
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:40 PM
You need to get off your high horse. I've been there done that as well. I've also scrubbed toilets and bagged groceries. They suck and they don't pay a lot...but until you can find something better they pay A LOT more than nothing which is what you're getting paid now. I don't have to work those jobs anymore, but you can bet if I found myself without income I would do it again in a heartbeat to feed my children.

Quoting Jkia1boy:

Quoting Cpdsptchgrl:

I don't know about flipping burgers because I've been there done that! TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THAT! However, I am willing to bend a little by doing secretarial work.  Thanks for responding! :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM
I have been on unemployment before. They send you monthly statements letting you know how many weeks of benefits you have left. Also. When you call in or get online to claim weekly. The same information is given, how many weeks of benefits you have left.

I didn't qualify for the school plan but from my understanding, and the way it was explained to me, the only difference is....you don't have to turn in work search information.

Unemployment is a finite resource, that's a known fact.

And the program Obama started is a federal program, meaning its the same in every state.

Also, I don't know where your attitude comes from, but if this is how you go into interviews I know why you don't have a job.

Quoting Jkia1boy:

Quoting happymommy1105:

I'm confused.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kid_Cat_Mom2005
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand where you are coming from. I'd feel the same way--doing all the right things only to end up on PA. Good Luck ! What's your degree in ? 

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN